Acer 5050 Touchpad/Keyboard Stop Working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jumpforjoy, Mar 20, 2009.

1. jumpforjoy

jumpforjoy Private E-2

Hello. I am hoping that someone will have a solution to some weirdnesses going on with my Acer 5050. It came with Vista but I reformatted the hard drive and installed XP. Everything had been going smoothly until I decided to download Service Pack 3. While Service Pack 3 was downloading my network hiccuped or something and Service Pack 3 was aborted mid download. After that happened the computer was a complete mess, so I reformatted the hard drive and re-installed XP. I am now at the point of downloading all MS XP updates, virus protection, anti-spyware etc.

The problem I seem to be having is sometimes after a reboot the touchpad and keyboard will not work. An external wireless mouse will though. I find if I do a reboot both the touchpad and the keyboard will come back to life but often when the touchpad and keyboard will not work the computer will not reboot, I must pull out the battery to get the silly machine to reboot.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Brenda

2. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

3. jumpforjoy

jumpforjoy Private E-2

I did go to Acer's website and downloaded what they have listed as the most current driver but I will try the link you sent me to see if it makes a difference.

4. jumpforjoy

jumpforjoy Private E-2

The link that you have sent me keep sending me to a page to download Driver Dectective which I must pay for. I would have no problem paying for this program but I have no re-assurance that this will really work. Also this is the first time I have ever been given a link to software I must pay for. Could someone tell me what is the deal?

5. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

what link did you click?? here is a direct link for the driver: http://down3.driversdown.com/Notebook/AS5050_SynTouchpad.zip

6. jumpforjoy

jumpforjoy Private E-2

Not trying to be a pain but when I click on the latest link you sent the page opens to this:
    Directory Listing Denied
    This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

I have googled the driver and found one that seems to be more current and so far is working. I would never have thought that the drivers Acer had on their site would be outdated. It was the first thing I did after installing Xp, go to the Acer site and download the "current" drivers. Thanks so ton!

7. jumpforjoy

jumpforjoy Private E-2

I am hoping someone will respond to this. After a day of running fine regarding the keyboard and touchpad, I am back to it malfunctioning. HELP!

Thanks, Brenda

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds