Laptop can't see the CD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tokie856, Jan 25, 2006.

1. tokie856

tokie856 Private E-2

I've got a 2100 HP presario and use it very little. Have used the CD maybe 10 tens since I've had it (1.5 yrs). I inserted a dvd during christmas while traveling and the laptop did nothing. Going to Windows explorer and the drive is not shown. An Icon on the lower right has an "X" thru it and when you put the cursor over it it states something like "CD Direct does not see a CD drive".

Is it common that the CD drive fails with so little use? Could it be some other problem?

My OS is XP Home.

Thanks.

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Hi and welcome to MajorGeeks.

Is the drive visible and displayed correctly in My Computer?

Is the drive displayed correctly in Device Manager with no ? or ! (start, run and type in devmgmt.msc then OK)?

Do other CD's and DVD's work in this drive?

3. Lewg2

Lewg2 Private E-2

Also, when the laptop starts, does the BIOS recognize the drive?

4. tokie856

tokie856 Private E-2

Thanks to you folks that replied. I found that my malfunctioning Roxio was causing the CD drive problem. Removing Roxio and making a Registry edit fixed the problem.

Thanks to these forums for their knowledgeable subscribers and your will to share your knowledge.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds