shadow copy question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PeterK2003, Nov 8, 2006.

1. PeterK2003

PeterK2003 Private E-2

ok say we have disk A and Disk B(two different hard drives) . On Disk A we have a share with users data. Shadow copy is turned on and the "shadows" are keep on Disk B. Say Disk A fails--blows up--hole in the ground--dead as a door nail. The Drive(A) is then replaced and the data is restored. Will the shadow copy information still be accessible?

Thanks,

~peter

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Accessible when? The shadow *should* be directly accessible only during a disk failiure, and once the disk is replaced the shadow should be copied across to the new disk, and the share updated to use the new disk.

Aside: If you were using RAID1, then the drive would be online as soon as the data has been resynced in much the same way. Shadow Copy is basically a poor man's RAID1

3. PeterK2003

PeterK2003 Private E-2

Shadow copy isn't anything like RAID. umm i want to be able to go back to a version of the file prior to the failure. if that helps.

~peter

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

I was simply making an analogy, in reality you're right. Shadow copy is a scheduled service rather than a hardware based operation.

Shadow copy will keep the latest file it has copied, and as far as I know it won't keep prior versions.

5. PeterK2003

PeterK2003 Private E-2

6. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Fine, I guess I'm a bit rusty on Windows :p

Hope you solved your problem :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds