generic volume shadow copy

Discussion in 'Software' started by paulhodson, Apr 23, 2008.

1. paulhodson

paulhodson Private E-2

My computer has started to tell me that it has found new hardware (when none has been installed).

If I follow the process (or go to Control panel/new hardware) it tells me that the wizard is going to install software for generic volume shadow copy

It then searches for the software and tells me that it has not passed compatibility testing and they strongly recommend I don't install it!

The only thing I have done is trial the Carbonite back up service which is now running - and I feel that this may have something to do with it.

If I cancel the process it tells me that the hardware has not been installed correctly -but all appears to work OK.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

2. CarboniteInc

CarboniteInc Private E-2

Paul,

Alison from Carbonite here.

Volume Shadow Copy is a Windows component that is normally already present and installed on most computers. Carbonite uses this Windows component to back up files that are in use at the time of backup, such as your e-mail program’s data files.

It doesn’t make sense that you would receive a notification that Generic Volume Shadow Copy has not passed compatibility testing, since it’s actually a Microsoft Windows component – it should be safe to allow it to install anyway. We usually only see messages regarding the need to install this component in cases where the computer has been upgraded to Windows XP or Vista from older versions of Windows before this component was automatically installed. Could that be the case?

If you're still having difficulty, feel free to contact our customer support team at customersupport@carbonite.com.

Hope you get everything worked out soon!
    Alison

3. paulhodson

paulhodson Private E-2

Thanks - interesting. I had emailed support and got this reply from Leon!

Hello and thank you for contacting Carbonite Customer Support.

This shouldn't be due to Carbonite. If you'd like us to rule it out, please send us the log files using the directions below.

Open the Carbonite InfoCenter by double-clicking on the lock icon in your task bar (located to the left of the system clock.
    Click the Get Support button in the left panel.
    In Version 3.0 and higher, click the link at the bottom of the page entitled Contact Customer Support to display the message box.
    Within the message box, type Re: 316276 and then send the message.
    When we receive your log files, we will review them and provide additional instructions.

I did this but have not heard yet. I asume the log files get picked up automatically in this process as there were no instructions to find and append them.

We shall see :)

4. Mspoor

Mspoor Private E-2

I am having the same issue and I also started experiencing it after installing Carbonite.

5. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Mspoor.

If you will check the dates, you'll see that this thread is quite old.

You may be better served by starting a new thread in this forum describing your symptoms and providing any pertinent system information (operating system and service pack #, make and model # of your computer, etc.).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds