Hot Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LibertatemPopuli, Apr 25, 2012.

1. LibertatemPopuli

LibertatemPopuli Private E-2

My graphics card is constantly getting hot. It starts at around 40C, then just starts slowly going up. I've been on less than 15 minutes and it's already at 66 C and rising. I just made sure the sink was making contact with the GPU, and dusted the thing, and it's still going. The fan is running, as well. I'm fresh out of ideas.

2. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

What kinda GPU is it.Have you clean all of the other Fans 150f is a bit hot Max Temp it can hold is only 160F on all GPU's then they will shut down or stop working.

3. Molarize

Molarize Private E-2

Have you checked the thermal paste? It might potentially the paste has gone bad so you get high temperature. Also, download the NVIDIA Inspector or catalyst control center (Not sure which you board you have) to set the fan speed higher. If the problem is still here, you may need to consider in buying an aftermarket cooler to replace your stock cooler.

4. Goldenskull

Firstly Thermal Past really does not go Bad unless it has not been used in a long time.This Probably has nothing to do with the Nvidia Control And unless we know this person Specs we cant really Diagnose the problem properly.

Please give us your Specs
    Please use this Tool it will all so Gage your temps in some spots of the computer
    http://majorgeeks.com/Speccy_d6358.html

The Main problem i see is most likely this persons computer does not have enough Air Flow.Going to the GPU So i am thinking if this person has a Tower the Front fan might need a Cleaning and the Back Fan all so needs a Cleaning.

5. LibertatemPopuli

Sorry, completely forgot to attach my graphics card specs. As for fans, they're all clean. I just dusted everything in there, including the interior of the power supply, as I thought that was the initial source of the heat.

Attached Files:

6. LibertatemPopuli

Also, yes, I replaced the thermal paste a few months ago. It's still nice and wet.

7. Goldenskull

Does this Video card have its own power to its fan

8. Goldenskull

9. LibertatemPopuli

I think so. Not sure, though.

10. LibertatemPopuli

I've installed MSi Afterburner, and let the fan go to "Auto." The temperature is still raising, but at a slower pace. At least the fan is functioning properly.

11. Goldenskull

manually Do it take the Auto off set it around 65% fan Speed.

12. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Take care the above post may damage your card. Leave it set to auto or if the noise wont bother you crank it to 100%, but i wouldn't ever set it to anything below that.

13. LibertatemPopuli

It's cranked up to 100%, and it's still running at 55. Way too hot to do anything like gaming. Even after I open the case, there's no significant change in temperature. Any suggestions?

14. Goldenskull

Can you tell us what kinda computer Case you have.Sounds to me some thing might be blocking your Air Flow.make sure your other fans are pointing in the right direction.

15. LibertatemPopuli

I've got the stock case for the Gateway FX 7020. All of my fans are pointing where they should.

16. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Just a thought, how many cooling fans do you have and what size are they? are your cables tidy inside the case and not obstructing the air flow?
    The fan at the rear should be as high as possible because warm/hot air rises and you need to pull it out of the case, your front fan/s should be at the bottom of the case and have no obstructions to hinder the intake of air, also check that the filter for your intake fans is clean and not full of dust.

17. LibertatemPopuli

I've checked out all my fans, they appear to be okay. I popped open my case, set my computer on its side, and put a large industrial fan on top facing outward. Pretty much turns the inside of my case into a vacuum. This prevents everything from heating as quickly, but my graphics card is still cruising idle at about 56C. With the big fan off, no matter how anything is set up, my graphics card will just toast itself. Nothing else seems to heat up, though. (The motherboard does a little bit, but I think that's just conducted heat from the super-duper graphics card.)
    I'm fairly certain I have an issue with the card itself. I'll take a picture of the inside of my case and attach it.
    Two pictures. One is just the interior of my case, the other is flipped horizontally (how I see it) and traces where all my fans are and where they go.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  18. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Are you suffering any other symptoms? 55C is within normal operating temperature for an 8800gt lots of them run at 55C when idle almost irrelevant of fan speed,in fact you can run them as hot as 105C without damage and many do get upwards of 90C while gaming which is totally normal.

Leave your fan setting at auto and run 3dmark or heaven benchmark while afterburner is running,if the card is overheating the benchmark will become unstable and start to artifact or the computer will shutdown.

If it doesn't shutdown or artifact before the bench is complete post the max temp from afterburners graph.

If you would like to monitor your temp in real time run the benchmark in windowed mode with afterburner open.

19. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I do not see a fan at the front of the case drawing air in ?????

Place one at the bottom and it will help.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  20. LibertatemPopuli

I didn't clarify. It runs at 55C with a massive 3 foot diameter fan sucking all of the air out of my case. If I take this monster fan off, it heats up to about 80 (The shutoff temp, I believe) in a few minutes. It's running extremely hot.

21. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

With the big fan running check your gpu usage with afterburner and post.

You have to take into account it could be an errant reading,has it ever shutdown due to overheating? Have you tried different temperature monitoring programs?

You say nothing heats up? If you card was at 80C the air coming from it would be really hot,the back of the card would be too hot to touch so let the card temperature rise then touch the back of the card to check,if you can hold you finger there it isn't 80C.

I know you cleaned out the fan but have you removed the heatsink cover and cleaned the heatsinks?

If the card feels reasonably cold to the touch and the gpu usage is at zero I would try and run a benchmark to see if you can get it to artifact or shutdown,the safety shutdown temp is 125C but before that 110C the card will throttle to reduce temps its at about this temp you should see artifacts in the benchmark if its overheating or the benchmark will lock.

If your benchmark score is normal then it hasn't throttled and you haven't seen any artifacts there's something wrong with your temperature sensor.

Try speedfan also

http://majorgeeks.com/SpeedFan_d337.html

There are only a few things that can cause heat,improper contact with the chip,dust in the heatsink,improper airflow due to slow or faulty fan,GPU usage due to driver issue,faulty card.

If you can eliminate all these one at a time and still have a high temp reading there's only one conclusion,the temperature is wrong.

22. RogerCova

RogerCova Private E-2

Have you tried to clean the dust and reapply the thermal compound? It should help you to get better temperature. Also, for a more expensive option is to move it to an aftermarket cooler

23. Moviotion

Moviotion Private E-2

That's pretty hot actually. Have you tried to use program like NVIDIA Inspector or CCC to have the fan run faster?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds