TightVNC Java Viewer (Recording)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kasten, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Kasten

Kasten Private E-2

I am desperately in need of recording VNC sessions, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the TightVNC Java Viewer (Version 2.7.2) to Record.

I can get the "Viewer" to work just fine, however no matter what I've tried the "Record Button" never appears. I have no experience with python for an alternative. I'm beginning to wonder if it's not actually possible with (Version 2.7.2) considering that the release notes for the TightVNC Java Viewer I'm reading are actually for (Version 1.3.10)

Any help or a basic alternative would help me tremendously. :tired

Thank you in advance for your time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  2. Kasten

Kasten Private E-2

Well it took most of the day to figure out, but I was able to get a custom configuration to work. I forgot to mention I am in need of recording 2 VNC sessions at once while being able to multitask throughout the computer. Just to note, now I'm using the non-Java version of TightVNC Viewer when executing the following list.

First, I installed the trial of WM Capture (A window recorder with Background Mode) and adjusted the video recording to the lowest settings. WMV / 5 frames per second. Around 20MB per 30 minutes.

Second, in order to record 2 VNC sessions simultaneously, I created a custom .bat file to run the WM Capture more than once.

Third, because WM Capture doesn't allow recording without an audio input (even though it has an option to disable audio, it doesn't save that setting) and since I didn't want audio being recorded from the office background, I had an old Playstation 3 bluetooth headset laying around and installed the PS3 bluetooth headset driver for Windows 7, chose it as the default audio input option in WM Capture, then turned off the headset completely for a soundless recording session. Reset the computer to make sure, and the software detects the bluetooth device every time even without the headset turned on.

So far this configuration is working great, now I can record 2 PC monitors remotely. However, I still hope there is a better solution out there somewhere as I'm on the fence to if I should drop $40 on the WM Capture program which technically isn't dedicated to what I'm actually achieving.

Well hopefully this may help someone else who was in need of something similar. Good Luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds