Win 8.1 crash - Built-in apps affected

Discussion in 'Software' started by buffer1984, Nov 27, 2014.

1. buffer1984

buffer1984 Private E-2

Operating System: Windows 8.1 32-bit Single language

Processor: 3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual-Core

Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5G41T-M LX Rev X.0x

Display: Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset

Have been receiving a BIOS message when powering up, for which posting has been made in "Hardware" section named - "BIOS Error - new cpu installed".

After the above showed up within a short span of time, system hung while watching a video on YouTube. The screen developed vertical coloured lines. After restarting the PC, several applications which come as furnishings for Win 8, stopped loading up. When clicked they would just flash and disappear.

PC settings and other repair and restoration tools/ways have failed too. Tried to reinstall Win8.1 with DVD but installation failed.

Every time the "update and shutdown" button is activate and when installing the updates, they fail, as are concerning the applications. Please show a way out of this.

2. buffer1984

buffer1984 Private E-2

Tried most of the steps and procedures given in the following link:
    https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html

Failed in them.
    "Refresh your Pc without affecting data" option gave following error message:
    "This application does not support the contract specified or is not installed."

Resetting PC is not an option since i don't want to affect the data. System Restore does not have a point earlier in time when the problem first showed up.

Please suggest a solution wherein repair or non-destructive re-installation is possible. If all else fails then i might have to remove everything or reset.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

chkdsk /f
    sfc /scannow

^^ Both are run from a command prompt.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
    Check for updates, install any you find and reboot.

See if it still happens. I think I found another solution but am hesitant to mention it as it will likely break security on your machine.

4. buffer1984

buffer1984 Private E-2

Hi Adrynalyne,

Ran both chkdsk /f and sfc /scannow but with no result. The problem still persists.

Then did the following: "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth"

Error: 87

The online/cleanup-image/restorehealth option is unknow.
    For more information, refer to the help by running DISM.exe /?
    The DISM log can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

What next?

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

try it without the .exe. Otherwise, I'd daresay you are typing it wrong.

6. buffer1984

buffer1984 Private E-2

Sorry, need to update you with important info.

Entered the following:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:E:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess

The operation completed successfully and repaired the corrupt files.

Then started updating Windows and the updates were downloaded and installed. On restarting PC the following showed:

"Failure configuring Windows update, Undoing changes, Don't turn off the computer."

Back to the start.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds