Remote access to Mybook live.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brewbush, Apr 1, 2011.

1. brewbush

brewbush Private E-2

Hello,
    I am trying to set up remote access for my ext HD. I have seen some random instructions but I can not figure it out.
    I do not want to use the mionet program and would like a free option.

I am using a Dlink router and the Mybook live 1 TB storage.

I have set up a free account at dyndns.com and even put the information in the DNS of the router set up. I am not sure if I am doing it right.

Does anyone know how to step by step set this up? I am NOT good with understanding portforwarding, ftp, dns tech. So if you can really hand hold that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

2. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

I was hoping someone would jump in on this. I have two that I've needed to configure so I finally brought home the 2TB to do it this weekend. I'll write out my steps and hopefully I'm successful so that I can share them with you.

I plan on using FTP like most of our vendors and print ad companies use to transfer large graphics files. It's likely to be the only option that I look at so if you are fine with that, I'll try to get you setup the way I hope to get setup.

3. brewbush

brewbush Private E-2

great, I would really appreciate it!!

4. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

me too, i got stuck! It's #2 on my list back at the office tomorrow, i hope to have it cleared then.

5. techsent

techsent Corporal

Hey Brewbush,

Install FTP Server software on a computer in the network where the ext HD is. Here's a decent free one for personal use. http://www.sofotex.com/Cerberus-FTP-Server-download_L431.html

Create a new user account within the FTP server software.
    Select the option to designate the root folder for the new user and browse through the network to a share (which will become the root folder) that is on the ext HD.

Read through the FTP Server software online help as it walks you through setting up access to the FTP server through the router (port forwarding) and past the Windows or other firewall that may be installed. *They have a help forum at their site as well.

On the remote computer that will access the ext HD, install an FTP client program. Here's a decent one http://download.cnet.com/Core-FTP-LE/3000-2160_4-10195752.html

Start the client ftp and configure an account with the current Wan IP for the network that you will connect too. *It reads like you have the dyndns setup correctly since you have the details in the router.

You may also have to setup the router and firewall on the remote end with port forwarding.

Instead of using an ftp client program, you can use Windows to login to the network. The Windows Help on the start button should have a walkthrough available.

Techsent

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds