Backing Up

Discussion in 'Software' started by flankadank, Feb 2, 2007.

1. flankadank

flankadank Private First Class

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a free program that I can use to back up specific files and folders, when I feel like it, to an external hard drive. I don't want it to completely overwrite files every time unless they've been modified since the last backup and I don't want to backup my entire system.

Does anyone know of any such programs, which work well?

2. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Wgat operating system are you running ? Windows XP has its own backup utility.

Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> System Utilities --> Backup

it also contains a scheduler and can be run from a script (.bat) file if you want run on demand.

3. flankadank

I'm running XP and was considering installing the utility (I have the Home version), but couldn't tell whether it backed up all of the files in a folder or just the ones that have been modified since last backup. I have a lot of files, many of which aren't modified often or at all, so they don't need to be overwritten every time a backup is performed. Do you know how the XP utility handles that?

4. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

5. flankadank

Ok, it looks like you can "append" to a previous backup. That's great. I like the fact that you can save your system settings, too.

Thanks for the link and the helpful information. I'm never disappointed when I ask for help in this forum.

6. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

:major No problem! Glad we could help. :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds