"This Copy of Windows is Not Genuine: build 6002" - VISTA

Discussion in 'Software' started by badbadbad, Jul 3, 2010.

1. badbadbad

badbadbad Private E-2

I have a problem with my laptop and I have no idea what's wrong!
    I've had my eMachines laptop with Vista Home Basic (already pre-installed) for over 1 year. But yesterday all of a sudden I am getting a notice that says:: "This Copy of Windows is Not Genuine: build 6002"

The desktop wallpaper turns black all the time, and Windows thinks it isn't genuine! I bought this laptop (pre-installed with Vista Home Basic) at a large national retailer (PC World) so there is absolutely no chance this copy is fake.

[​IMG]

I am being asked to "Activate Windows", and I have "0 days to Activate with a Product Key"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really don't know what to do and why this is happening! Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Thank you for your time

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Your laptop probably came with Vista sp1- this problem occured because of an earlier release of service pack 2-
    You need to go to remove a program- I am in Windows 7 , at the moment, so I have to be a bit vague- but Vista has uninstall, or, remove aprogram- like XP has add, or, remove a program- and you need to uninstall srvice pack2, then download, and instal service pack 2, from microsoft- You will then find it will go away- I had to do this for my son, a short time ago- its a microsoft buggy sp2 causing it.

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks, triple bad.
    Good luck.

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Let's hope it is just SP2 causing it because Microsoft recently made available update KB971033. Although the update is marked Important, oddly it is not checked for automatic installation so will only be installed if the user chooses to select it. It changes the way Windows Genuine Advantage works, looking for 'cracks' and in my case it did to my Win 7 Ultimate exactly what it has done to your Vista - black screen etc. As with you, my Win 7 had already passed the WGA test and was activated, but this update decided it wasn't genuine after all. Microsoft refused to do anything about it and I only recovered the situation with the help of my supplier who agreed to take the product back and refund the cost. I had to purchase Win 7 again.

As your Win 7 was preinstalled I would hope your case is just SP2 as baklogic says, but others who have bought Win 7, or Vista previously, might want to take a note about this potentially catastrophic update and avoid it like the plague. :mad

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Earthling- it was Vista that had that problem, first, as here - But......
    My apologies- I should have said SP1 - It was a BETA version (so they said at the time.....) but the fix was to uninstall SP1, and download the 'final ' version of SP1. It was late , for me last night, and my brain was already closing down.......
    I also remember that I had to look for it, as it was not clear, at the time, so look for the massive first download to find it , when uninstalling.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  6. badbadbad

badbadbad Private E-2

So which one do I uninstall?

[​IMG]

And do you have a link where I can get the correct Service PAck to fix my problem?

Thanks so much for everyone's help and comments :cool:cool

7. Earthling

Sorry, I said Win 7 but did mean Vista in the OP's case. But this wretched update I talked about applies to both Vista and Win 7.

8. badbadbad

badbadbad Private E-2

Thanks for all your help, but which do I uninstall from the Add/Remove list? Do you have a link to a working Service pack?

9. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

Sounds like the first service pack would have been a beta, later to be replaced by the official released service pack. once the service pack is uninstalled the new one can be downloaded, or downloaded first and saved, from Microsoft.com. Search for it by using your operating system type and the service pack number you wish to have, then look for a link from Microsoft.

10. Earthling

Your best bet now is to call Microsoft and explain what has happened and hopefully they will unblock your product key. You don't say where you are but if it's UK have a look here

Because your product key will now be blocked you aren't going to get out of this without their assistance, but they are usually reasonable about such things.

11. badbadbad

badbadbad Private E-2

FIXED

Uninstalled SP2, then re-installed!

Thanks for everyone's help

12. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Congratulations.

13. Earthling

Well done :) Pleased you didn't end up in the situation I had. Probably as your product key is OEM it will never be blocked. Did you d/load SP2 or did you already have it on CD?

14. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Pleased to see you found it o.k
    I DID SAY MY BRAIN HAD GONE TO SLEEP....
    But that was the way to get rid of the timeout.
    Just in case others need the information
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/cc507885.aspx

Q. How do I uninstall Windows Vista SP1 RC?

A. It is not possible to uninstall the permanent prerequisite updates (KB937287, KB935509 and KB938371). However, you can uninstall KB936330 and KB937954. In addition, you cannot uninstall the service pack and other updates that were installed using an integrated installation. You can remove SP1 RC using the Programs and Features.

To uninstall Windows Vista SP1 RC using Programs and Features

1) Open Control Panel, and click Programs and Features.

2) Select View Installed Updates.

3) Under the list of Microsoft Windows, select Service Pack for Windows (KB936330).

4) On the top menu, click Uninstall.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&displaylang=en
    ALTERNATIVE
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bb738089.aspx

VISTA Standalone :majorSP2
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...d5-f907-4406-9012-a5c3199ea2b3&displaylang=en

15. badbadbad

badbadbad Private E-2

That is exactly right.... you need to go to Add/Remove programs, then select Installed Updates... then you remove Service Pack for Windows (KB936330).
    Just search Google for Vista Service Pack 2 and install.

I think it happened because I've turned Auto-Updating off and I had an older version of Service Pack 2 that was no longer being supported, but if anyone else has any other theories I'd be interested in hearing about them :-D

16. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

When I came across this, with my sons laptop, I did find a link, and I am sure it wa at microsoft, saying that it was the so-called beta version that had the problem (I could not find it again-I probably tuck it in my archive somewhere, because I usually save the links, and -YES- automatic updates had been turned off, for a while- so I wonder if this was a microsoft move to make everyone keep automatic updates switched on ?- :(
    I suppose those pirate versions do that to stop getting caught, as microsoft finds the 'hacks'- In fact I do seem to remember sometime reading that very thing, and it might just have been on faq's, at microsoft, or, technet - If you consider the extra wga downloads, now, I wouldnot be surprised- so everyone , make sure your coperating system is legal, as the worldwide slowdown gives microsoft more reason to keep checking!:duck
    Anyway, I was glad I had come across this one, even if my brainbox gets a bit addled- and pleased it was of use.

:celebrate

17. badbadbad

badbadbad Private E-2

Arrrghhh!!!

I'm going to go crazy - Windows is asking to "activate" AGAIN! Black screen etc, same as last time. But now it reads: ....build 6001

PLEASE can someone help me, this copy of Windows is DEFINITELY genuine, it came pre-installed on a laptop I bought from PC World.

I no longer have KB936330 and KB937954 in my list of installed updates - I can't seem to reinstall the service packs with links either

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated

18. Earthling

Re-read #4. This does seem to me to be the wretched KB971033 at work again, so do check if you have it installed. If you do then you will have to revert to PCW. Once 971033 is installed it can never be removed, and MS update it from time to time as they discover more cracked versions. Sounds as if a recent update has precipitated this.

19. Earthling

Just been having a look around for new posts about 971033 and there are now quite a few sites claiming it can be removed, so that may be worth trying. Also, we had a whole stack of updates last week, so you could initially try a system restore to last Tuesday and see what happens. If that fixes it then take a very careful look at the updates when they reappear, for which you would first need to change your automatic update settings to allow you to control what is being updated.

This is all dependent of course on you having installed 971033 in the first place.

20. badbadbad

badbadbad Private E-2

No, I don't have update 971033 - I'm at my wits end!

21. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Sorry, I have been a bit busy, lately-----
    Lots on the problem, here--possibly KB971033 is the culprit
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Search/en-US?query=vista not genuine&ac=3

YOU MIGHT FIND THIS USEFUL- IF ALL ELSE FAILS
    http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/existing-customers/activation-centers.aspx
    ALSO--In Windows 7
    It seems that Microsofte 'WATU' UPDATE MAY BE CAUSING WRONG GUESSES- tHERE IS AN ARTICLE EXPLAINING IT HERE

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/watu.asp
    UNININSTALL /HIDE IT IF IT CAUSES THE NOT GENUINE SITUATION
    http://www.geekmontage.com/how-to-uninstall-windows-7-activation-update-kb971033/
    A LOT OF DISCUSSION HERE
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com...y/thread/1c3ddce6-ebc0-4e47-8b87-d2591cd87612
    Kristain Hayes
    AT SOCIAL tECHNET WROTE THIS- BUT i HAVE NOT TRIED IT- HAD NO NEED.

Download Key Update Tool, a utility provided by Microsoft to change the key of the Windows version installed.
    The download address is http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0×409
    Double-click the utility will then check the system files.
    Enter the official key and click Next.
    Accept the license agreement and click Next.
    The key is legalized.
    Click Finish.
    Windows restarts.

22. thebandit21

thebandit21 Private E-2

Well, I hope i can still reply to this tread D:
    My vista started acting up displaying the same background as the others here..
    just one thing that is differnt is the service pack # it is KB948465

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds