Unable to read data from a particular Zip Disk, also lost several files

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BoomBoomWashington, Jul 11, 2004.

1. BoomBoomWashington

BoomBoomWashington Private E-2

There is a problem I have with a particular 100MB Maxell Zip Disk , and I don't even know what to research to fix the

problem.

I use Windows operating system, and my Zip Disk used to work in any Zip Drive. Now, when I insert this particular disk in the drive and I try to open it by double-clicking on the Zip Drive icon, it hangs for a minute. Finally, it shows only some of the folders I have saved on the disk (hence, I cannot access the rest of the data I saved on the disk). When I double-click on the folders that still exist, again, it hangs for a minute. In other words, accessing existing documents on this Zip Disk is a slow, and tedious process.

My other Zip Disks work just fine.

From what I understand, the disk has somehow been damaged. I am trying to find a way to recover the lost folders, because I know for a fact that even if you try to delete data, it is still in the system, and that there are free tools you can download from the Internet that will recover lost data. My problem is, I don't know where to look for help, and I've been googling every conceivable phrase relating to my Zip Disk.

Please point me in the correct direction and I will appreciate. Thanks in advance.

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

3. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Does your zip drive click, click click while it tries to access the disk? Try a Google on "zip drive 'click of death' ". Next time you actually get access to that disk, copy everything off of it somewhere else if you really need it-- it may not be long before you can't access it at all.

4. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Try to use a utility like 'Just Playin' pointed you too. Once you get the data off, discard the disk or reformat. Since they are cheap, you should just throw it away. If other disks work OK, there is no reason to research for "click of death". That issue is with the mechanism, not the disk. You could also try accessing the drive from a command line to see if you can view all the data.

5. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

There is good reason to be aware of "click of death", as the behavior does not manifest itself on all disks at once, and may well propagate to your entire disk collection-- rendering more data irretrievable-- if you ignore the possibility that it may be at issue.

6. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Working in the field and supporting all sorts of Zip Drives (Firewire, USB, SCSI, you name it), every one has their own variation of what a"click of death" is. If he has all his other disks working properly, and one disk is not playing well, "click of death" is not an issue. If this has happened before or he continues to have errors with new disks, I agree that he would want to look into it, however there is no fix for it, you simply buy a new drive or get it replaced.
    BoomBoom, please test other disks to be sure your drive is functioning properly. If you have a disk available, try formatting it. If your drive has a mechanical issue, formatting a disk might prove it good or bad.

7. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

I speak only from my own experience, wherein I regarded the slow access and eventual unreadablilty of a single disk as a media issue until, over the course of a few weeks, I watched disk after disk become inaccessible. It bears consideration.

8. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Do you wanna take this outside? ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds