non hi speed usb port

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grantclaire, Dec 19, 2005.

1. grantclaire

grantclaire Private E-2

hi all im trying to connect my wireless adaptor and keep getting this message........................
    USB DEVICE is a hi-speed device and will not function properly when plugged in to a non HI-SPEED port

i really need to get this laptop up and running 4 my daughters xmas pressie

2. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

You are trying to connect a USB version 2.0 wireless adpater into a USB version 1.1 port. There is no way round this except buy a USB 2.0 hub.

3. grantclaire

grantclaire Private E-2

hi i have just been told that i need a pcmcia (excuse the wrong enterpritation) adaptor and thats the wireless adaptor built in, is this correct?

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Is the laptop a new one? only reason I ask is its a new one most likely it has USB2.0 already but may not be installed correctly, if I can ask what make model is it so we can check the specs list?

Did you have to install the Operating System and if so what version windows is it?

5. grantclaire

grantclaire Private E-2

hi
    i bought it from ebay second hand, it was on windows 2000 but has been upgraded to windows xp pro

its an ibm thinkpad T21

6. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

"You are trying to connect a USB version 2.0 wireless adpater into a USB version 1.1 port. There is no way round this except buy a USB 2.0 hub."

I don't know where you are getting this. USB 2.0 devices are backward compatible with USB 1.1 ports. Secondly, buying a hub will not magically upgrade the existing 1.1 ports to 2.0 speeds.

7. grantclaire

grantclaire Private E-2

hmm now im really confused!!!!!!!!

8. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

It's true that some USB 2 ports are not backwards compatible with USB 1.1.

Ok the second part isn't true that was a typo.

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Which XP service pack is installed? as a min SP1 is needed to support USB2.0

It may also be well worth installing the Intel Chipset drivers as well, but to get a compatible one it is worth knowing the chipset installed, you can use Everest to find that info out http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds