laptop keyboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jayrogers, Feb 2, 2006.

1. jayrogers

jayrogers Private E-2

Hi,,Im wondering if you could offer me some advice.

I am using my IBM Thinkpad laptop and there seems to be a problem with the keyboard. Several of the keys on the right hand side type numbers instead of their assigned letter. I thought that this might just be a problem with the keyboard, however it was only recently fixed. Somebody recently told me that it might be something to do with windows or dos. If this is the case, how would i go about fixing it.

Best regards

Jay

2. Orbital57

Orbital57 Private First Class

Laptops have a numeric keypad built into the normal keyboard (to save space). It sounds like this is turned on and, as a result a group of about 12 keys have turned into numbers 0 to 9 and +-*/.

Looking at the keyboard you should have a Function key (probably Fn), often with the text in a different colour. If you look at the F keys along the top you will also find that they have secondary functions marked in this same colour. One of these will be the numeric keypad toggle.

Hold Fn and tap the appropriate F key then release Fn and it should swich the numeric pad off.

Hope this helps. If anyone has a manaul then that should tell you the different uses for each of the F keys.

3. jayrogers

jayrogers Private E-2

ok, thanks mate, that sounds like it... ill try it when i get home! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds