Kingston USB failed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bonniehandi, Apr 7, 2012.

1. bonniehandi

bonniehandi Private E-2

I think my Kingston 8Gb usb just became corrupted. I was writing something to it when my program crashed, and since then it says "Please insert a disk into Removable Disk (E:)". I tired formatting it, but it gave the same message.:cry

I have been googleing, and maybe a low level format would help. However, I can't find the software that can do the low level format. Help?:(

Device Name: [E:]USB Mass Storage Device(GENERIC USB Mass Storage USB Device)

PnP Device ID: VID = 0C76 PID = 0005
    Serial Number: 5&&428A151&&0&&2
    Revision: 1.00

Device Type: Standard USB device - USB2.0 Full-Speed (USB1.1)

Chip Vendor: SSS
    Chip Part-Number: SSS6677/SSS6690

Product Vendor: GENERIC
    Product Model: USB Mass Storage

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try changing the drive letter in Disk Management.

3. bonniehandi

bonniehandi Private E-2

I did that already. A few times actually.

4. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Try the free HP USB disk storage tool. It resurrected a 4GB USB drive of mine (a Corsair brand, as I recall) a while back.

There was another USB disk utility I've used - I think it was a Linux based tool (bootable utility) but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called. I'll look for it when home and post it if found.

5. bonniehandi

bonniehandi Private E-2

Spad, tired the HP USB disk storage tool. Didn't work.

6. tgell

7. bonniehandi

bonniehandi Private E-2

No luck with that either... Looks like my stick is a goner.

8. tgell

Did the LLformat tool detect the drive?

9. bonniehandi

bonniehandi Private E-2

No it didn't. It couldn't see the drive.

10. tgell

Yep, I would say the drive has failed. Sorry. Only option I could see would be to try bootable Partition Wizard based on linux, burn the iso file, and see if it detects the drive. If it does, then delete the partitions and reformat. But this is a long shot.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/download/pwhe7.iso

11. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi Tgell, I think bonniehandi could try the Windows version of PW since the drive is seen in disk management.

Similarly, I found this tool used to put linux on a USB flash has been able to format a messed up USB when others failed. (I also thought the HP Tool would be able to do it--so your drive might be gone.) But it may be worth a shot.

You could try it installing this Live Linux Creator program and run it with the USB attached. If the USB key is seen in step 1 then in step 2 choose download option and then Gparted as the distribution to download. (It is one of the smallest at 137mb) Don't worry about Step 3 but for Step 4 make sure to check the box for Format the Key and uncheck the box for Use in Windows option. Then see if it will format the key. If it fails no harm done. If it succeeds then remove and reinsert the key and see if Windows recognizes it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  12. bonniehandi

bonniehandi Private E-2

It is interesting because my windows explorer shows the USB as a F driver, but none of the tools you all have introduced here can actually see the drive.

13. tgell

In your first post it was listed as E: Did the drive letter change? One last thing you may want to try is connecting it to a different USB port. I assume you have tried this flash drive on another computer.

14. bonniehandi

bonniehandi Private E-2

Oh. It changes letter pretty much every time I plug it in depending on what else I have plugged into my computer at the time.
    And yes, I have tried the stick on different computers as well.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds