Firefox Connects to Web, IE7 does not?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Carl Genova, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Carl Genova

Carl Genova Private E-2

Hello, I am a long time user of this forum, finding to solutions to most problems but this has me stumped.

Internet Explorer 7 will not connect to the internet.

Firefox connects with no problem.

This is the result of the diagnostic test from IE7 diagnostic tool.

Last diagnostic run time: 03/03/07 23:16:11 HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
    HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

info FTP (Passive): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com.
    warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
    warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
    warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net: A connection with the server could not be established
    warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with the server could not be established
    error Could not make an HTTP connection.
    error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
    info Redirecting user to support call

DNS Client Diagnostic
    DNS - Not a home user scenario

info Using Web Proxy: yes
    No DNS servers

DNS failure

Gateway Diagnostic
    Gateway

info The following proxy configuration is being used by IE: Automatically Detect Settings:Enabled Automatic Configuration Script: Proxy Server:127.0.0.1:1088 Proxy Bypass list:localhost
    info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 75.85.32.1
    info This computer has the following IP address(es): 75.85.32.177
    info The default gateway is in the same subnet as this computer
    info The default gateway entry is a valid unicast address
    info The default gateway address was resolved via ARP in 1 try(ies)
    info The default gateway was reached via ICMP Ping in 1 try(ies)
    info Skipped gateway connectivity check because of IE proxy configuration

IP Layer Diagnostic
    Corrupted IP routing table

info The default route is valid
    info The loopback route is valid
    info The local host route is valid
    info The local subnet route is valid
    Invalid ARP cache entries

action The ARP cache has been flushed

IP Configuration Diagnostic
    Invalid IP address

info Valid IP address detected: 75.85.32.177

Wireless Diagnostic
    Wireless - Service disabled

Wireless - User SSID

Wireless - First time setup

Wireless - Radio off

Wireless - Out of range

Wireless - Hardware issue

Wireless - Novice user

Wireless - Ad-hoc network

Wireless - Less preferred

Wireless - 802.1x enabled

Wireless - Configuration mismatch

Wireless - Low SNR

WinSock Diagnostic
    WinSock status

info All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog.
    info The Winsock Service provider chains are valid.
    info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
    info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
    info Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
    info Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
    info Connectivity is valid for all Winsock service providers.

Network Adapter Diagnostic
    Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
    Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
    info Network connection: Name=1394 Connection, Device=1394 Net Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=1394
    info Network connection: Name=America Online, Device=Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem, MediaType=PHONE, SubMediaType=NONE
    info Ethernet connection selected
    Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
    HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

info FTP (Passive): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com.
    warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
    warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
    warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net: A connection with the server could not be established
    warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with the server could not be established
    error Could not make an HTTP connection.
    error Could not make an HTTPS connection.

Another strange this when I tried to type any command from RUN such as PING.EXE the DOS box will pop up for a microsecond then disappear.

I've run Defender and Norton and no problems are shown.

I truly appreciate any help on this. I use Firefox most of the time but since IE7 is the default browser there are some programs I need to use it for. Thanks again for your time.

2. DutchMarco

DutchMarco Corporal

I've got no idea as to how to fix your main problem. I can help you with another problem:

go to run --> type cmd --> press enter --> the command window will now pop up, and normally it will stay there.
    now try to type a command such as ping....

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Proxy Server:127.0.0.1:1088 Proxy Bypass list:localhost

Do you know why your using a proxy server? Thats more then likely your problem.

Goto tools, internet options, connections, lan settings, uncheck use a proxy server.

Also to take care of this line "IP Layer Diagnostic Corrupted IP routing table"
    goto start, run then cmd, then into the command prompt type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" and hit enter, then "netsh winsock reset" and enter, then it should prompt you to reboot.

4. Carl Genova

Carl Genova Private E-2

Thanks colemanguy. It is usually the simplest thing. Problem solved.

I believe I was thinking much too hard about this one. I'm laughing to myself. Good Job and thank you.

5. Carl Genova

Carl Genova Private E-2

I am trying the fix on my command line. After I did what you suggested below, the outcome is that the dialogue "Black Box" stays open for about one second now instead of the split second it did before. It did not prompt me to reboot. I will reboot myself to see what the outcome is.

Also to take care of this line "IP Layer Diagnostic Corrupted IP routing table"
    goto start, run then cmd, then into the command prompt type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" and hit enter, then "netsh winsock reset" and enter, then it should prompt you to reboot.

6. Carl Genova

Carl Genova Private E-2

I did what was suggested. Saw a change in the behavior ie the amount of time the dialogue box stayed open. rebooted/restarted the computer on my own, no prompt was given. It then displayed the same symptom as before. The dialogue box pops up a split second.

7. Gaii

Gaii Private E-2

This is really odd. I've been looking all over the web for something resembling the problem I'm having with IE7. I'm experiencing these symptoms exactly. Firefox, Opera, Netscape all can connect to the web. IE7...nada. IE7 just says "Connecting" and that's it. No error pops up at all.

Also, the Run command causes the DOS box to pop up and disappear just the same.

The "Use Proxy Server" box is not checked, only the "Automatically Detect Settings" one.

I took the machine to a repair shop, but they couldn't find a solution either. I've tried reinstalling IE7, but that was useless. When I try rolling back to IE6, the same symptoms reappear.

I would really appreciate any advice.

8. snotty

snotty Private E-2

As always - there is free telephone support for IE7 I recommend to anyone..

http://www.microsoft.com/ie/support (click on phone support on the left)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds