Win XP Home c:\windows\system32\config\system file deleted?

Discussion in 'Software' started by amandajsmom, Jun 30, 2008.

1. amandajsmom

amandajsmom Private E-2

Hi,

I started my thread in Malware, I think it needs to go here now, please read the thread, let me know if you can help ... http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=163314

went to the microsoft support page as directed, and thought I typed in all the commands correctly. The last portion of step 1 tells you to "copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system" and the computer tells me "file not found". All the other files were copied successfully.

Sure enough, I go to the directory of c:\windows\system32\config, and the other 2 files are there (default, sam, security, software) but no system.

Am I screwed?? there is a system.log dated today (but it's only 1024 KB) and a system.sav (380928 kb), but that's dated 9/02.

2. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Microsoft has this relatively new service - a free online scanner. It can often repair broken files, it installs updates, defragments selected sections, removes obsolete registry keys, temporary Internet files and a lot of malware. It worth giving it a try. Link to Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner here.

3. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Also try this. You need an XP CD. Then go to

Start -> Run -> Write: sfc /scannow

Note: the space between sfc and / is important. The machine will now be checking for errors. When the little progress bar is gone the scan has finished. Reboot.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds