Slow boot, startup, and software loading issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by shattered.likeness, Dec 20, 2006.

1. shattered.likeness

shattered.likeness Private E-2

Over the past month or so my computer seems to be booting slower and slower, my startup is taking forever to load my programs, and other programs (i.e. firefox) take over 45 seconds to load, when just 2 months ago they were almost instantaneous.

The steps I have taken so far are as follows:
    1. edited startup programs to only include ZoneAlarm Pro, NvCpl (what is this?), and µTorrent (which won't let me turn it off in startup)
    2. edited services.msc file to optimal settings
    3. set the paging file at 1280 MB (double the amount of my RDRAM)
    4. Ran boot time defrag with O&O defrag v8.5 Pro with Layout.ini checked and Method set to COMPLETE/Access.
    5. Many of the tweaks at TweakXP.com and their book, "Hacking Windows XP" (all of the optimizing options, that shouldn't slow down my boot time)
    6. Various registry tweaks to optimize performance (checked all of them at XP Myths)
    7. Run Page Defrag v.2.32 at every boot
    8. Ran AVG anti spyware, AVG antivirus free edition, spybot S&D, CCleaner, Webroot Windows Washer, and various scans and optimizers in Advanced System Optimizer v.2.1.4.5

Is there anything short of removing unnecessary fonts from my fonts folder to get my times back down to where they were?
    Are there any logs that would be helpful to post that would make a diagnosis/advice easier?

Thanks for your input in advance,
    Shattered_likeness

2. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

3. shattered.likeness

The only things that I have not done from that post are to run the online virus scans and post the logs in the spyware forum. The last time that I ran a full anti-spyware/anti-virus scan, it took hours (over 6 hours for those to run). But I am guessing that this sounds like a virus/trojan/whatever so I guess I might as well start all over with the scans and see what can be done in the spyware forum first. If nothing is resolved there, I will post back here.

OR

Since I am getting new hardware within a week after christmas from newegg, I was thinking about installing my external USB drive into my new case, and reformatting both drives and starting fresh.

I would still be using my current drive, but due to reformatting, all viruses/spyware will be erased right? I know that sounds like such a noob question, but I know that even if you reformat a drive, it can still be disassembled and old data retrieved that way, right?

And one more question, I have my system restore turned off by default. So, toggling it will not do anything for me correct?

4. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

would still be using my current drive, but due to reformatting, all viruses/spyware will be erased right Yes
    if you reformat a drive, it can still be disassembled and old data retrieved that way, right? Take a hammer to it if your paranoid about it
    Try a on line scan first before doing the above.

5. Techiegirl

Techiegirl Private E-2

aahhhaaaa we have this problem at work at the moment. Dell have supplied a load of pc's with faulty motherboards. You can do what you like clear the cache', defrag, put extra memory in but the capacitors on the motherboards leak and so the motherboard needs replacing. If you can open your pc up and see if the capacitors are flat on top (they look like tall batteries). I understand its happening with other models apart from Dell.

Always worth a look.

6. shattered.likeness

AWC seems to have cleared up most of the problems with program load times. Thanks zbd21!
    I should be able to live with this until after Christmas, when I build my new rig.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds