Blank Screen with blinking cursor

Discussion in 'Software' started by rharvey27, Jul 10, 2007.

1. rharvey27

rharvey27 Private E-2

My DELL PC Dimension will not boot up. It brings up the "Dell Screen" and then goes to a blank screen with a blinking cursor at the top left. Can not get it to not do this even when using F8 or F2 or F12 keys. Still does the same when I try and load with XP Media Center disk. Has my hard drive crashed or is there something I can do to get ti to load. Any help would be appreciated or point me to the right forum.

Thanks

Rob

2. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

If you have recovery CD,try to repair the windows.And run check disk.

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

What happens to the keyboard lights as you switch on?
    Check the keyboard and mouse connections.
    Go to the bios (hit del key repeatedly at switchon)
    Is the hard drive listed?

4. kkoala

kkoala Private E-2

HELLO! I just got this problem like THIS VERY MOMENT. So I panicked big time and searched far and wide for a solution, but my friend on the other hand who knew nothing about computers suggested a simple solution.

hold the power button and restart. IT'S STUPID BUT, when it shuts down. You'll go oh **** but try opening it again and if it works normally then most likely you kinda made too many programs work all at once. And shut it down which made the comp tried to fix it while booting up I think. @-)

SO,
    SHUT DOWN (hold power button)
    and OPEN AGAIN. Stupid but hey my black screen and blinking cursor is now solved @-)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds