Maybe more than the virus was removed???

Discussion in 'Software' started by SandraS, Jan 12, 2009.

1. SandraS

SandraS Private E-2

My computer will not switch into the screensaver mode when idol. I noticed this happening since we have had a bout with a virus. After running several virus scans we seem to be virus free, the virus symptoms we were experiencing have stopped however so has the screensaver and I think perhaps some other files may have disappeared as some of my printer functions don't seem to be working right. When I go to scan I get a pop-up telling me that they can't load the document viewer and that I should should insert the cd (which i don't have).

Any thoughts?

Sandra

2. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

are you missing printer software or scanner software? what make and model of printer/scanner are you using? When you go to settings are you able to set the screen saver settings back to where they were ?

3. SandraS

SandraS Private E-2

The printer is hp psc 2175 all-in-one. The printer seems to work fine and I can actually get it to scan but I have to open the scanner from the computer, if I just push the scan button it won't work and when I open it via the computer I used to open it through image zone and now that will say "an unhandled exception has occurred in a componenet in your application" That message cannot be X'd out of so I end up having to go ctrl alt delete to remove the message box. When I go through document viewer a message box pops up saying it's trying to configure document view, then a message says "the feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available" and then asks me to insert the CD I don't have a disk and it never asked for a disk before. but when I cancel out of those series of messages i do get the scan page and am able to scan.

As for the screensaver, I set up the screen saver and it just never kicks in as if the computer is never idol.

4. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

Have you tried to uninstall the drivers and re install them. I know you said you didn't have the disk . I attached link to hp's site with the drivers for your printer.

hp psc 2175

5. SandraS

SandraS Private E-2

well I know I have tried to download the drivers but I didn't remove it first. I think I was afraid that if I removed it I would really screw things up and my kids would kill me if they couldn't print especially at the end of the semester. I was hoping it would just load the missing components. I guess not huh? So i just go into the program and hit uninstall and then reinstall from the download?.... can you tell I'm a chicken? I just want to make sure.

Any thoughts on the screensaver?

6. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

unfortunately i have no idea why screensaver is not working. But if you hang on here someone will probably be along to assist you with that issue.
    As far as the printer scanner issue, once you re install the drivers that situation should be solved but if it's not post back.

7. SandraS

SandraS Private E-2

OK I just uninstalled and reinstalled my printer and when i scan although the button on the printer works, it still sends me to document viewer and I get the error message that i have to put in the disk. when i cancel out of the series of message pop ups i eventually get to the document view but each time I have to go through the error messages telling me i don't have the feature. that is weird if you ask me. ok now that i reinstalled, i set the printer on share but when my daughters computer says to print it won't send it to my printer. now what did i screw up?

8. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

Have you tried to re download hp image zone. it sounds like when you removed the virus you may have removed that program. It came with your installation disk for your printer but since you don't have the disk you need to get i from the link I listed below. load it run it and see if this fixes your problem.

HP Image zone

9. SandraS

SandraS Private E-2

OK I figured out the screensaver. in the process of removing the virus we had I downloaded the superanitspyware program. apparently that is constantly scanning so the computer is never idol so the screensaver never kicks in. I exited out of the program and the screensaver started working again.

As for the "document viewer" problem. No clue. Document viewer 5.3 and Image zone 5.3 are on my computer. I actually can get to the programs but not after going through several error message boxes telling me I need to insert the disk and the other error messages I mentioned earlier. In order to get rid of the messages I need to hit ctrl alt delete and end task of the error message then the program pops us as it should. what a pain in the neck. If I have a functioning program why would it ask for the disk?

any other thoughts?

10. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

I haven't forgot about you I'm trying to figure out why it's asking you for a disk to run a program you already have?

11. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

When you press scan does an option box open, or in your settings do you have an option tab for where the document goes when scanning, if so look under scan to and see where the document is set to scan to, if it says document viewer switch it to image zone or at this point anywhere other than document viewer.

12. SandraS

SandraS Private E-2

same problem for image zone as document viewer, i can scan without error message into "word" but then I don't get a preview screen.

13. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

Sandra I'm at a loss right now, I can give you one more thing to try maybe it's something still hanging up in your system that shouldn't be. We can try this last thing on my suggestion list, then hang on and someone else may come through with a better answer or even a solution because I'm missing it completely.

I've included a list of items below including ccleaner, and revo unistaller.

1. uninstall the printer again using add and remove programs
    2. uninstall image zone using add and remove programs
    3. install revo and run it just to make sure neither of these programs are on your computer
    4. install and run ccleaner, they also have a registry cleaner built in with a back up (make sure you back up the registry in case something is removed that shouldn't be)
    5. reboot the computer and install image zone.
    6. install drivers for the printer
    7. connect the printer, make sure in options the scan to is not to document viewer.

revo uninstaller
    ccleaner
    hp psc 2175 drivers
    image zone

hopefully a clean install of these programs will get you up and running, if not someone who may have experienced the same error message will come through and get you going.

Lastly what virus did your computer pick up and what program did you use to clean it.

If you want make sure it's totally gone check out the below link.
    read and run me first

Post back and let me know what happened with the scanner.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds