Old Games

Discussion in 'Software' started by 4einc, Mar 28, 2012.

1. 4einc

4einc Private E-2

Hey Folks;

I recently got a new computer.. Win7 64bit... I won't get into specs cause its not important for what I was wondering, as everyone knows alot of older software doesn't work well (or at all) with Windows7 I was just wondering what do you guys do with your old games that don't work anymore ?

2. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Install them.
    Right click the desktop link.
    Properties.
    Compatability tab.
    Select operating system (eg. Win xp)
    Apply, OK.

That could well get many of them working.

Also you probably want to check the box to "Run as Administrator"

The only other thing I can suggest would be an emulator.
    My girlfriend uses design software which wont run on Vista or 7 due to it being released and updated 9 years ago (they never made a newer version but it's the only one that does what she needs)
    I installed VirtualBox and then installed Win Xp and run the program through that.

You do however need a bit of a hefty machine since you are effectively running 2 operating systems simultaneously.

That's all I got.

3. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

It depends on how old they are. DOSBox helps, though I've been lazy lately and re-bought my old games from GOG.com :)

4. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Doesn't hurt to check for patches and updates for the games also. I've had a few older games that would run under Vista or 7 after a patch.

5. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

I'm not using win 7 yet, but a friend of mine is and I installed win xp pro on his system,(dual boot) so he could run some older games. I use Dosbox on my vista for old stuff as well. Abandonia.com has a great selection of some great dos based games.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds