SATA Data cable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by augiedoggie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I searched here but didn't find anything close. My problem lies with the non positive locking of these cables, if I touch something else usually it disconnects easily, like PSU or other cables when I try to tidy up. I got mine with my ASUS A8N-E mobo. Are all of them the same? This is my first experience with SATA drives and cables. Thanks as always for your help.

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Some newer cables may not fully interlock, and you have to push on the ends to get them to solidly connect if they have interlocks on them. Otherwise if they slip out, possibly the ends have shrunk someway or another and may need to be looked at.

3. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

I just upgraded to a SATA drive and tried to use the cable that came with my Gigabyte board and had the same problem you have, loose fitting connector. Then I tried the cable that came with the HDD and that one fit very snugly. If you still have the cord that came with the HDD, try that one and, hopefully, it'll fit better.

4. augiedoggie

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately the WD I bought didn't come with a cable, it was OEM. I guess I'll pull it out and check some shops. Thanks again.

5. augiedoggie

Update: Having done some Googling, I found that higher end WD drives have a secure connect cable which is $10 US or $12 CDN at ncix.com. Yipee!

http://search.ncix.com/displayproductdetail.php?sku=12181&vpn=WDSC50RCW&manufacture=Western%20Digital&p=1&quicksearch=secureconnect&minprice=Min.+Price&maxprice=Max.+Price&imagefield.x=23&imagefield.y=8

6. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

Great!!! Problem solved!!! At least now you won't have to worry about losing your cable right in the middle of a good game, or something!!!:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds