how safe is Eusing registry cleaner?

Discussion in 'Software' started by davidm_uk, Feb 2, 2011.

1. davidm_uk

davidm_uk Private E-2

Any views on how safe Eusing registry cleaner is?

I'm having some problems with very slow booting on XP - see other post:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1588325#post1588325

Having read (some) of this thread have installed Eusing and run a scan - it's found 3449 "problems" which will take forever to work through and try and validate, but I'm a bit (lot) reluctant just to let Eusing to blast through and fix everything.

Suppose I could always take a disc image to recover from, but it might be weeks or months before problems show up and by that time the image will be pretty out of date in terms of any "data" files (eg email database).

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi David

While its not as safe for all users as say CCleaner, as CCleaner does not scan all the registries HIVES as the likes of many other Registry Cleaners do like Eusing, which leaves you in the position of really needing to know what the entries are before removing them. Admittedly you can change what locations the application scans for.

But if your having a pain of a problem then the Image of the HDD route maybe a way to go and do the backup of the registry removed entries that Eusing does incase an application breaks.

One think I just noticed as I tend to try an application out I have not used in ages, is that in Win7 x64 the uninstaller to the app is broken for me anyways.

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Although I regularly use CCleaner, I've used Eusing Free Registry (EFR) Cleaner on a rather infrequent basis on by Windows XP system and never experienced problems from using it.

With the large number of problems it found on your system, your system seems to be in serious need of some cleanup. And, as you said, researching all those items would take a lot of time. I think I'd do a backup of the registry, as prompted by EFR and let it remove all items it found. This is my opinion; as you know, registry cleaning carries some risk.

I read your other thread. Did you remove everything CCleaner found or selectively remove some of the items it found? Are these 3449 "problems" found by EFR all problems if found after allowing CCleaner to removed all items it found or after some selective removal by you of items found by CCleaner?

4. md2lgyk

md2lgyk I can't follow the rules

I tried Eusing one time. CCleaner showed no registry issues. Same with RegSeeker. Then Eusing shows nearly 400? I was almost expecting a popup telling me to send $29.95 for a cleanup.

I don't know if Eusing is a scam program or just lots more aggressive than any other registry cleaner I've ever tried. In any case, I uninstalled it without fixing any of the "issues" it found.

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

This has been explained over and over in numerous forum discussions. CCleaner is not as aggressive a registry cleaner as other registry cleaners. And, this is undoubtedly the reasons it's often recommended; it is known to be a very safe registry cleaner. So, the fact that Eusing found more registry issues is not the least bit surprising. Many, if not all, other registry cleaners would yield the same result; they would find more registry items after running CCleaner.

Eusing is definitely not a scam. Some registry cleaners are a scam.

6. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

As you should be. There is a lot of risk in using registry cleaners and, based on what a lot of people here that I respect and trust say, not a huge amount of benefit. There will of course be those that disagree, but I have not once ever noticed a difference in the performance of my machine after using one.

As mentioned, Ccleaner has a very conservative registry cleaner. If you are not knowledgeable about your registry or don't want to go through each and every thing a cleaner finds, I'd recommend using Ccleaner.

7. davidm_uk

davidm_uk Private E-2

Thanks to all for your input.

Think I'll stick with CCleaner for the moment - another problem is my priority and must try to not get sidetracked ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds