printer sharing problems in workgroup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hermansnykers, Apr 12, 2005.

1. hermansnykers

hermansnykers Private E-2

Hello everyone,

I'm in a workgroup of 7 pc's, 6Win2000pro and 1XPpro, 4 printers.
    The workgroup works just fine, mapped network drives work ok.

The printer connected to the XPpro doesn't have any sharing problems, shares a local printer and has access to all other printers as long as the pc that has it installed as local printer is running.

Using a network printer on the win2000 pc's however always fails when logging off and back on, I have to re-install the network printers at every logon because the connection is never restored :confused: . I fill in user and password for the pc that has the local printer to make the connection.

All users are administrators but that doesn't help. How can I make the connection to a network printer permanent, meaning that all printers are accessible after a shutdown or loggin off and on on the win2000 pc's?

thanks for the tips!!

2. Stygiis

Stygiis Private First Class

Not positive but have you tried creating the user accounts for the machines you want to have access to the networking printing on the PCs that have the shared printer locally attached?

Since each user is only an administrator of their own PC the other 2000 computers may not allow them to reconnect after a reboot. When you reboot the machines the username and password you used are not stored and there for you have to re-enter them to verify through the machine controlling the printer that you are allowed access that resource. Worth a shot unless someone else has another idea.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds