Computer Stuttering

Discussion in 'Software' started by ashpash@i12.com, Mar 22, 2007.

1. ashpash@i12.com

ashpash@i12.com Private E-2

Hopefully this is the right place for this post. I did post this in the hardware forum but havent had much luck there.....sorry for the double post! I have a problem with my computer stuttering. I'll be playing Warcraft and its start to stutter in sound and whilst running. When I close the game the problem still continues. I had a look in the Event Manager and I get this message over and over again:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7036
    Date: 21/03/2007
    Time: 3:02:40 PM
    Description:
    The Pml Driver HPZ12 service entered the stopped state.

I have done the usual scans and defrags and there is nothing in the HJT log so I am assuming that its not any form of malware or adware. When this problem starts it will sometimes fix itself after about 3 to 4 stutters but other times the only way to stop it to restart the comp. Whilst stuttering everything else I do slows down. Opening programs takes forever. I did a search on google and thought it could be my sound card drivers and have updated them (Realtek AC'97) with no change.

Anyone have any ideas for me....thanks.

2. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Looks like it's related to an HP printer which I presume you have. Put hpz12 into Google and you should find info to sort out the problem.

3. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Yeah, it is related to the HP printer. Remove all the HP items from your startup menu and reboot. Click Start > Run and type msconfig and press enter. Click the startup tab and uncheck all items that have HP in the path. You can always re-check 'em later. I'm thinking that the HP stuff running in the background is maybe 'snowballing' on itself as time goes by, using more and more resources. Removing it from the startup and rebooting should fix the problem.

hopperdave2000

4. ashpash@i12.com

Thanks all, I had looked the message up on google and came up with a few things to try but not the stuff that hopperdave2000 suggested. There were other links that suggested it was the sound card that why I mentioned it. I will try those things and see how it goes.

Thanks for the fast reply.

5. ashpash@i12.com

OK, well this worked for a day and the problem has returned. HP stuff is still not being loaded on startup and dont know what else to do. Any help would be great.

6. ashpash@i12.com

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7036
    Date: 26/03/2007
    Time: 7:36:03 AM
    Description:
    The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service entered the stopped state.

This is the message I get now, it still stutters. Sometimes it stops and other times I have to reboot to stop it. Any suggestions? Please?

7. ashpash@i12.com

Anyone...please?

8. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Some poking around on the net finally found a recommendation that the IMAPI be set to manual, not automatic. Without the IMAPI being on, you can't burn CD but I doubt you want to do that anyway when you're playing a game. You could try that and see if it stops the problem.

9. ashpash@i12.com

Thanks for the reply but when I went to change this it was already set to manual. Its a hard one cos if I knew what was causing it I could find a fix but I cant work out what the cause is. Is a recent issue not one caused by playing the game as I have been playing for months now with no issues at all.

Thanks again.

10. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Check to see if the IMAPI service is started and if so stop it before starting your game. As far as I understand these things so far, it isn't just whether it's set to manual that counts but also whether it's started.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds