Command Prompt-ipconfig/ping Trouble

Discussion in 'Software' started by Neuroline, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Neuroline

Neuroline Private E-2

Hi all,
    I hope someone can help :) I have been trying to get the ipconfig and ping commands in Win2000pro to execute from the command prompt and am getting these errors :

C:\>ping
    'ping' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.
    C:\>ipconfig
    'ipconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

the ipconfig.exe file is there in the C:\WINNT\system32 folder but if exectued from there a small window(command?) blinks then disappears. I installed the wntipcfg.exe from Microsoft which gives a GUI of the IP Info I need but it won't execute from the command prompt either, only from its own C:\Program Files\Resource Kit folder. I have searched the microsoft knowledge base and asked my local ISP tech guys but no real answers.

Thanks in advance.

2. lesrae

lesrae Private E-2

I've got no Win2000 experience but a couple of ideas occur:

The commands not being recognised sounds like a PATH problem. the PATH variable tells windows where to search for files by default, if it doesn't include c:\winnt\system32 then that could explain why you can't run ipconfig or ping from the root path (C:\).

To check your path, open a dos window (I don't know win2000 but in XP/NT you select Start/Run and type CMD<RETURN>, or select it from the program menu) and type:
    ECHO %PATH%<RETURN>

This will print the current path setting. If c:\windows\system32 isn't in there then that's the problem. You can set the path variable on boot by editing the AUTOEXEC.BAT file in c:\ and putting in a line like:

PATH C:\;C:\WINNT;C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32

When you say that a DOS window blinks and disappears, this is probably because you're running the DOS ipconfig command from within windows, it opens the DOS window, runs the command, then shuts the window, just as you asked :)

Try opening a DOS window and typing:

CD C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32<RETURN>
    IPCONFIG<RETURN>

The results should display and the window will stay open (type EXIT<RETURN> to close it).

Hope this helps.

3. Neuroline

Neuroline Private E-2

Thanks lesrae

lesrae,

YES! Thanks, that was it. For my JAVA class this semester I had to Add PATH and CLASSPATH for the JAVA SDK folder,
    for the complier I guess :)
    Under My Computer\Properties\Advanced\Enviroment Variables You can add and change the PATH variables for User and System. Instead of just adding a PATH for JAVA I Overwrote the existing ones for both User and System. I'm guessing the System PATH/CLASSPATH never needs to be changed?

Thanks again for your Help.

4. lesrae

lesrae Private E-2

No problem.

5. JOHNNY_SOARES_CCTZ

JOHNNY_SOARES_CCTZ Private E-2

Hi there!

Do try and got to --->Properties of my computer--->Click on the Advance tab--->Then click on 'Environment Variables' in the Startup and Recovery section. Look at the System Variables selection and add a new variable by clicking 'New'.

Then for the variable name type PATH and in the Variable Value copy and paste %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\MPEG

Press ok three times to close the dialog boxes

Hope this helps...

Johnny Soares
    CCTZ - Dar es Salaam
    Phone: - +255 22 2117730

Remember to make backups first before all hell breaks loose...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds