Ready to snap my video card in half!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jguy6, Jul 30, 2009.

1. jguy6

jguy6 Private E-2

Ok so I have just about had it with my video card and will hope someone can help me out here. I have a EVGA 9800GX2 card and it just has given me constant problems. Everything seemed to work fine when I bought it but, I was really some low-end games and then move to WoW and Hellgate and a few others. And all I get is my system freezing either from running from 15mins of game play or sometimes ill get an hour in. I did a complete system re-install hoping that would fix the problem still does it, I check the temperature and it seems like the gc idles at about 70c. I'm running liquid cooling for my cpu and have about six 140s so idk if heat could really be the problem
    Heres my systems specs

Vista Ultimate 64
    Biostar TF720 A2+
    ASUS TV Tuner
    Creative Labs X-Fi Fatality Pro
    8 GB G. Skill Ram @ 800mhz
    Processor AMD Phenom 905e

Let me know if you need some more details. I downloaded EVGA's precision tool and was able to up the fan speed to 100 and it dropped the temp quite a bit but I'm afraid I'll burn the fans out if i run them that high all the time. I've heard a lot of other people have had similar problems with the card just havent found a solution. Hope someone out there can help me out.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I was going to recommend that you increase the fan speed on the video card, but I see you've done that. You do not need to lock it in at 100% though. That's just too loud and you would run the risk of burning out the fan prematurely. I have an nVidia GTX260 and it idled at about 72c when I first installed it; while gaming, it got close to 100c. These temps are WAY too high. I used Riva Tuner to lock in the fan at 65%. I can't hear the video card fan over the other fans in the system, and overall the system is pretty quiet. The GPU now idles at 44-48c, and while gaming it never gets over 68c. This is a HUGE improvement. You might also look at your power supply and make sure it has the power needed to keep your system running smooth and stable.

(BTW- in case you didn't know, RivaTuner is similar to eVGA's Precision tool, but it has many more features; if you just need to adjust the fans speed, the Precision should be just fine)

3. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

I am betting psu most modern cards can handle 100c without having a issue my 3850's load at 85-95c all day long when I am gaming during this hot weather I have seen 8800's HIT 120c and live with out a issue

4. jguy6

jguy6 Private E-2

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will take a look into that program and see about setting my fans a bit higher and see what that does. And believe it or not but the power supply I have is on EVGA's list of recommended power supplies to use. http://www.evga.com/articles/397.asp
    Mine is the Antec 850w Quattro

PS Specs:

Output
    VoltageRange
    MAXReg.Ripple & Noise
    +5V 30.0A ±3% 50
    +12V1 25.0A ±3% 120
    +12V2 25.0A ±3% 120
    +12V3 25.0A ±3% 120
    +12V4 25.0A ±3% 120
    -12V 0.5A ±5% 120
    +5VSB 3.0A ±5% 50
    +3.3V
    25.0A
    ±3% 50

Total Power: 850W continuous output @ 50C

+5V and +3.3V combined max. output: 180W

+12V outputs combined max. output: 768W(64A)

just a bit frustrating wasting $400 on a card that just freezes all the time, i'm considering going to a 295 GTX in the near future I've been hearing good reviews for those cards. Any other ideas please let me know.

5. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

You've got almost the same card as me ;)

PNY NVidia 9800GX2 ;)

My card doesn't crash till it reaches 123 degrees celsius (yes Ive pushed it that far LOL)

You've obviously tried all the latest drivers. If theres no warranty left on the card, you can pull the cover off and clean it. IF you have warranty left DO NOT do this, it WILL void the warranty and YES they can tell.

Try running it in Air conditioning ... other than that ... I dunno ...

6. jguy6

jguy6 Private E-2

thanks everyone some advice really helped. I set my fans to 70% and it dropped the temp by 10c. I will take a look into taking it apart since i forgot to register my card the warranty is already expired. Does anyone know what games i should be able to play with everything on high? If the size of my monitor and resolution is a factor my monitor is a 24" and i usually have my resolution at 1900x1200. I havent been able to play one game with all settings on high without it crashing. Drizzles is there any games you play with high settings? My card seems to crash around 70c never been able to push it farther than that. I have a sound card and a tv tuner next to my gc so i dont think theyre helping keep it cool. thanks in advance.

7. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Well I use a 23" Samsung 2233sw, high def, WS, 3ms response, 1920x1080 etc ... I play just about every game on high, I play TF2 and an AWESOME Steam mod called Neo Tokyo and play them all on high, although lately I have been restricted to playing Star Wars Battlefront II as my Internet is Capped ... and that plays very well on high except on a planet with lots of foilage then it lags a bit, but all you need to do is reduce the draw distance. I can play GTA IV on almost high ...

Thats actually wierd because mine IDLES at 60 - 80 ... its at 76 ATM ... I use FurMark to push it up to extreme temps ... and as far as the other cards go, yes try to move them away from your Card, Might be a little hard I know but try ...

8. jguy6

jguy6 Private E-2

Well it usually only crashes when I'm in a game not just using windows. I've had it go up to 70c in windows and I have been alright, but as soon as i play a game around that temperature my system would crash. I did the best I could for moving around my cards didnt have much options. I was able open my gc and there really wasnt much dust there but clean what needed to be. So I think on my next mobo i'll make sure most of what i want is integrated other than the graphics card. I'll probably upgrade when usb 3.0 is released, other than that though I did have success when I turn the fans up to 70%. I played Wow last night for about 4hrs with everything on high with no crashes. Now to test hellgate and crysis. j/w is 70% too high to run all the time when playing games? Other than that I'm glad that worked saved me $400.

9. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Lol ok ... it sounds like perhaps your Smart Fan Control isnt working.

10. jguy6

jguy6 Private E-2

is smart fan control on the gc or the mobo? I've seen it in the bios but, Idk if your relating to something the gc has that doesnt seem to be working. is 70% too high to run all the time i games?

11. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

I am gonna bottom line this for yo

there is something wrong with the card it shouldn't crash at 70c those cards are good until 85 - 90c

keeping it cooler and under-clocking will help but your gonna need to replace it sooner or later

12. jguy6

jguy6 Private E-2

i figured i would have to end up replacing it sooner or later. I used to have an 8800 ultra but, swap it for the 9800Gx2 just forgot to register it. so i was sol after that. Do you know any good gcs? I hear the gtx 200 series all worked pretty well. thanks for everyones help.:)

13. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

I am more of ATI person the 48xxx and the 4770 are awesome cards

but if yor not gonna be smashing crysis @ 1900x1200
    The NV 9xxx are ok in my book
    the gtx cards are just overpriced if you ask me

14. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

GTX series cards are great cards, be aware however, they are the same size (if not bigger) than the 9800GX2, and have the same (as far as I know) power requirements, (1 6pin and 1 8pin). They also run at slightly hotter temps than the GX2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds