External HDD cause freeze during boot up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by planejumper73, May 3, 2012.

1. planejumper73

planejumper73 Private E-2

I have a Toshiba A665-S6086, running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit, i3 M370 processor @ 2.4 GHz with 8 GB ram, BIOS version 2.3 and a Western Digital "My Book Essential", 3 TB external HD. When the external drive is plugged directly into a USB port during boot up, the laptop freezes before it gets to the Toshiba start up screen (where I can get into the BIOS). If it's plugged in through a USB hub, or not plugged in at all, the laptop boots normally, but the external drive doesn't show in the BIOS. I want to use the external drive as a dual boot option, but can't get it to work since the BIOS doesn't accept it. Any ideas on how to make it work while plugged in when I boot up?

Thank you in advance.

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

First some drives especially external ones are just slow to spin up,how long is the freeze? 30 seconds or similar could just be a slow drive and POST,I would guess this is what's happening since the drive functions normally once detected.

There are few options you can alter in bios that are related to boot behaviour,even less in laptops. What your asking are two different questions also,to speed up boot time I would manually set the boot order in bios 'first boot device' to your primary drive enable 'quick boot' self explanitory,disable show logo on boot which should skip the toshiba screen and disable 'boot other device'

My HP laptop has none of these options in bios,the only thing I can alter are the boot order and three boot devices,cdrom,usb,network set them to disable or enable which is typical of many laptops.

In the boot order I can only change the order of devices which is hard drive,cdrom,usb drive ,so I would try altering this boot order if that's all your have,set USB to the top or second and see if it boots faster as the external drive will now be check for an OS first,not finding one it will default to the hard drive.

I did a quick search and there are lots of other users who have problem with that drive and slow boot times so I would suggest your check the WD forums for answers or contact their support,users describe a delay of 5 minutes as typical.

I would also look for a bios update that fixes this problem,I've had a look and can't find your product at toshiba so I can't check but check the Toshiba site for a bios updated that fixes this problem it skips from S6084 to S6091.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp

Also look for a firmware update for the drive that also fixes this problem,I can't as I don't know the model number of the drive.

3. planejumper73

They released a BIOS update on March 7, 2012. I already did the update to it. The freeze doesn't go away. Once it freezes, I can let it sit over night and it still is frozen, until I shut down using the power button, physically disconnect the external drive and reboot. I'm not able to alter the boot order so that the USB is first. When the external drive isn't plugged in, the USB doesn't provide an option to place it first, and when it is plugged in, I can't get to the BIOS to change anything, as it freezes on boot up.

At the link you provided, click on "Product Support". When the options show up, select "Laptop"> "Satellite". Then, in the "Model Finding Filter", type in A665-S6086, and it shows up. I've checked all of the downloads, service bulletins and every thing else on there and can't find anything in regards to my problem.

I asked the same question in the community based forums there, and didn't get anything that helped.

I downloaded all of the updates from Western Digital (including firmware) and installed all of them, as well.

Still no difference.

Thanks for the info, though.

4. Rikky

After a second read through I suspect it could be a USB over current problem,would that be a powered USB hub? Does it work with a none powered hub?

Does the drive work normally when windows has loaded? Have you ever got a USB over current error when connecting it?

For kicks download and run WD tools and check the drive for errors and problems if you haven't already.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=612&sid=3&lang=en

If it is this problem it shouldn't happen but sometimes does with laptops and your already using the best fix I know which is to use a power hub,if it is indeed powered,if it's not a powered hub I would supsect there's something wrong with the usb connectors.

5. planejumper73

The hub isn't powered, but the drive has an external power supply. The hub is actually a laptop fan with 4 hub ports on it, but like I said, the external drive is powered separately.

I ran the WD tools and it found no problems.

6. Rikky

I know the drive is powered:p To fix the problem you have to work out the difference between the USB connector of the drive and connection via a USB hub.

Again does the drive work normally in windows once its connected 'when windows has loaded' without the hub?

7. planejumper73

It does. I just booted up, and it didn't freeze. I haven't changed anything, so I don't know what changed, but it's working now. Thanks for all the suggestions.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds