AMD athlon 64 x2 6000

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spaff, Dec 7, 2007.

1. spaff

spaff Private E-2

i am currently running a AMD athlon x2 4200 but i have started serious gaming and i would like to upgrade my CPU

firstly would my gigabyte ga-m57sli-s4 motherboard be okay with the AMD athlon x2 6000 ?

and

if i was to upgrade could some one tell me what i would need to do to my computer after i have connected it up ?

thanks

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

A CPU upgrade doesn't require you to do anything special. Just be sure that the PC power cord is unplugged. And be sure to use an even, thin coat of new thermal snot when re-attaching the heatsink on the CPU. BUT.... the 4200+ should be strong enough for most games... what's your RAM and video card situation? Maybe you should upgrade one or both of those first....

3. spaff

spaff Private E-2

2 GB ram (2 x 1 gb)
    and im running Nvidia geforce 7300 256mb

if you think it is any of these ive got a budget of about 120 GBP

4. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

video for sure. That card is not for gaming unless it's with EVERYTHING turned way down or they are older games.

5. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

6. spaff

spaff Private E-2

this may sound stupid but im not the best with pcs but are these graphics cards compatable with my motherboard

7. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Yes, as long as the motherboard model (gigabyte ga-m57sli-s4) you wrote in your first post is correct.

8. Creativeballance

Creativeballance Private First Class

www.mwave.com is a good place for parts. Also, www.pricegrabber.com is excelent for comparison shopping. Honestly, I would go for a NVidia 8800 GT, it looks like your getting the most power per dollar out of the cards currently on the market (Then again, ATI is releasing a dual-core video card in Jan so that could change)

9. spaff

spaff Private E-2

what about 2x geforce 8500GTs ?
    running SLi ?
    would these be compatable

10. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Yes, but if you want to run the newest games, the performance would be abysmal compared to a Radeon HD 3850. Not to mention it would cost about the same.

11. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

I have to agree with wyatt on that one . I just replaced my 7950gt with a 3850 and got a nice performance boost.Crysis plays smooth as butter even in dx 10 mode. best bang for the buck out there now with a mid range price and awesome performance.

12. spaff

spaff Private E-2

anyone know the cheapest place and price in england ?
    or maybes in the US and anyone got any idea of shipping prices ?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds