POST Taking longer and longer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jiminat, Sep 7, 2008.

1. jiminat

jiminat Private E-2

It's taking ages for my computer to complete it's POST. Please help.
    I hope the following information about my computer helps
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA - K8VM800M
    Power Supply: RD ATX 12v version 1.3 Max 400W
    Hard Drive: Maxtor connected to IDE 1 with jumper on what I think is C8 enabled; definitely not Master
    nor Caps Line.
    Floppy drive: Connected to FDD slot on the board.
    There are two DVD/CD drives connected to IDE 2: Drive D read only and drive E read/write.
    Jumpers are; D drive master, and E drive slave.
    I also have a printer, a scanner, a wireless router, a mouse and a keyboard connected at the back.
    When I switch on the computer both the CPU and PSU fans always come on.

When my computer finally completes the POST, the sequence of events are as follows:
    Hard drive, sounds like a fan starting up.
    Loud beep from E drive, it's power Led stays on while at the same time D drive power Led flashes
    a few times.

When it doesn't boot up the sequence of events varies between the following:
    (a) Clicking sounds from hard drive corresponding to power Leds on the D and E drives coming on
    and off alternately. Computer switches itself off.
    (b) Clicking sounds from hard drive corresponding to power Leds on the D and E drives coming on
    and off alternately, with ocassionally, a soft beep that corresponds with E drive power Led coming
    on. Computer switches itself off.
    (c) As above but with an irregular frequency.
    (d) As above but there is the sound of a failed attempt for the hard drive fan to start up.
    The time it takes to switch itself off follows no regular pattern but generally it is taking longer and longer
    for me to get the computer to boot up until I fear, that unless I resolve the problem the computer will
    not start up at all.

What I have done up to now.
    Removed the expansion card for the speaker and mic jacks.
    Removed the memory.
    Unplugged the connectors at the back of the computer for the printer, scanner, wireless router,
    monitor, mouse and keyboard.
    Unplugged the PSU connectors from the floppy and DVD drives.
    When all the above were disconnected the problem remained the same.
    When I unplugged the PSU connector from the hard drive there was a loud continuous noise similar in
    tone to the beep when the computer boots up.

Hope someone can help
    Regards Jiminat

2. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Have you tried a bare bones set up ie mobo, cpu+hsf, ram, vga (+monitor) and see if you get a post to complete with a single beep.

Next connect up the floppy and your HDD and run HDD diagnostics progs. Go and download them first at Maxtor and put them on the floppy. This should be a bootable prog ie select floppy as 1st boot device in bios and make sure it boot correctly into the prog before the bare bones.

Prior to doing any of the above, you may wish to go into the bios and check that the HDD is correctly detected.

Good Luck

3. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

Along with what risk_reversal stated, it might not be a bad idea to check your PSU while you're at it. I looked at the manual for your board and, since you didn't mention it, I'm assuming you're running the on-board graphics and sound. It is possible that you have a faultering PSU and with all the equipment you have running off that PSU, being only 400W, you may be taxing it. I may be way off base, but when it comes to PSU's I'm paranoid, having lost one too many machines to a faulty unit. Still, it wouldn't hurt to check it out, just to be on the safe side!!

4. jiminat

jiminat Private E-2

Thanks Guys
    I'm going to go for a PSU replacement. Anything to do with Bios is beyond my understanding. I had a gut feeling it was something like a faulty capacitor in the PSU because of the success after repetition, but everybody I spoke to said PSU's are either dead or okay. I'll let you's know how I get on. Regards jiminat

5. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

If you do decide to go with another PSU make sure it is quality brand name like Antec, Thermaltake, OCZ, etc. Granted, they may cost alittle more, but it'll save you some headaches!! Also, I'd suggest going with at least a 550W unit. You may not need that much power right off, but if you ever upgrade to more energy hungry Vid card, you'll be glad for it. In both my machines I'm running 2 Antec 550's with modular cabling and have never had a bit of problems out of either of them. Here's a site that will give you an idea of what's available. http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=58&name=Power-Supplies Here is the units I'm using. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

6. jiminat

jiminat Private E-2

Im beginning to wonder about the PSU replacement. When I disconnected the power cable and data ribbon from the hard drive the machine started immediately doing all the system checks and beeps then finished with a DOS page advising me to put a disc in the CD to boot up from there. Does this put a different complexion on things? Regards jiminat

7. jiminat

jiminat Private E-2

Hi
    I wasn't able to carry out all the steps you suggested because I dont know what hsf stands for and I dont know how to get into bios. I did download a windows version from Maxtor and did a long test which the hard drive passed. However, see above for what happened when I took the hard drive out of the loop. Regards jiminat

8. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

No, it's just saying that it can't find an OS which is on your hard drive, if you then put in your XP CD it'll just say 'Drive not Found'. Oh, 'hsf' means your CPU's HeatSinkFan. That has to be hooked up at all times.

9. jiminat

jiminat Private E-2

Hi
    So it could still be a PSU problem? Regards jiminat

10. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

From what you have said, my opinion is that the psu is not the main culprit here as regards your problem. PSU are extremely important components as has already been stated.

However, if your system completed the post with a single beep when you disconnected all the components (inc the hdd and all usb peripherals), then I think that we can illiminate the psu (for now).

Your main HDD (PATA) is connected to the mobo's IDE1 controller? correct?
    You stated earlier that the jumper on the drive is C8. I guess you meant to say CS ie cable select. Change the jumper on the back to 'Master'. There will be a schematic on the drive to show where the jumper should go.

While you are it also change the HDD's data ribbon cable. Also ensure that the connector to the mobo and hdd are the right way round ie black for mobo, blue for master hdd (if my mremory serves me right).

Prior to restarting system, disconnect the 2 optical drives.

You will also need to go into the bios. Most likely will be to repeadly hit the del key as system boots. Go into Advanced cmos features and you will see your HDD and opticals listed.

Good Luck

11. jiminat

jiminat Private E-2

Hi
    Thank you. I did all the stuff you said but no luck. You said that I got a single beep when I disconnected the HDD. That is true, but only when I leave one of the other drives connected and then I get a boot disk failure message telling me to insert disk. When I disconnected all drives inc. the HDD I got a continuous beep (if that's not a contradiction in terms). Just above the boot disk failure message, on the same page
    there is an entry for a device called an ACPI controller. Unlike the devices listed above it this has no row of numbers to it's left, even after a successful boot. Is this significant?

12. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Well searching for continuous 'single beep' shows that the error may lie in one of the following.

- bad power supply
    - bad processor
    - bad motherboard
    - bad keyboard

I would again suggest doing a barebones set up. This entails taking the motherboard out of the case. Only leave the cpu (+heatsink), the graphics card & memory (only one stick). Remove disconnect everything else (inc keyboard, mouse and any usb peripherals) apart from the power supply. You can connect the monitor to the graphics card if you want.

Now in this barebones configuration, does the system post successfully with a single beep.

If the answer is yes, then start adding components and testing after each addition. Firstly, keyboard and mouse. Next floppy. Then opticals. Then the pci cards which you may have removed (one at a time) ie sound card, network card, etc. Finally, add the hdd.

The message you are getting about boot disk failure is the system trying to find a boot o/s and not finding one. If your HDD is not connected or there is no boot media in either your floppy or optical drives, you will get this message.

Your options are simple in that you can try to replace what you believe are faulty components eg cpu, psu or do the barebones to ascertain in the first instance that the core components are fine.

Also before you start all this, have a close look on the mobo at the capacitors. The little cylinders on the mobo itself. The tops should be flat and shiny and not rising ie dome shaped and rusty looking.

Good Luck

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  13. jiminat

jiminat Private E-2

Hi
    Took out the Mobo, cleaned it up and checked the capacitors. Put the Mobo back in the case and replaced all the stuff in the order you advised. Got a single beep all the way up to the last installation; the HDD. Does this mean the HDD is the culprit? I've already ordered a PSU with more Wattage; 550 which is no harm done really. Stubby advised 400 watt was a bit small for all the stuff I am running even though some of them have their own power supply. Thanks for all your help up to now. Regards Jiminat

14. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

IMO the HDD is no longer functional. Looks like maybe the actual circuitry is faulty in some way. I don't suppose you have an old spare HDD to check with, if only to plug it in and confirm?

One last question, when you connected the HDD and the post failed, you got the same type of beep that you described earlier, correct? Also on the POST screen ie the screen that lists your components prior to the beep, was the HDD shown. The post page contains info about your cpu, ram, optical (when connected) and probably system temps and stays on the monitor for a few secs.

Probably a good move, as PSUs weaken over time.

Good Luck

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  15. jiminat

jiminat Private E-2

Hi No spare. but hdd repair software says it is ok. All the beeps happen b4 the post page appears Regards jiminat

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds