Dual monitors with 1 dual video card and onboard video

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Whitey, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Whitey

Whitey Private E-2

Hi there guys and girls,

I just have a quick question that I'm looking for an answer for.

I've recently been given a shiny new video card, which is awesome as I've only ever had onboard video on this PC. It's a Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB. I realise it's not the greatest video card in the world (just because I can't afford to buy one doesn't mean I don't know what's good :p), but it's free, and I rarely turn down free things.

Anyway, on to the point.

As some of you may know, the Radeon 9800 has 3 ports. VGA, TV, and DVI. I wish to set up a dual monitor system, but all the monitors I have sitting around are analog (VGA). I thought, no problem, I have a VGA port on my motherboard, and I can use the one on the video card.

Alas, I've been playing around for a few hours, and I couldn't seem to find a way to do it. So I do what I usually do when I need an answer. I hit google. Found tons of dual monitor tutorials and faqs, but none of them mentioned anything about onboard.

My question is as follows:

Is it at all possible (even if it requires some slight hacking) to set up a dual monitor system using one VGA port on the video card and one on the motherboard?

If not, is there a VGA to TV or DVI adaptor I'm able to get? If so where, and at what price (I'm in Australia :p). Or can you think of any other way I can do this cheaply? :p.

Or does anyone have a spare VGA-DVI adaptor or video card sitting around they want to mail me? ;).

Thanks guys!

/Whitey

2. Valhallis

Valhallis Private First Class

Well AFAIK you can't dual-monitor with and I/O card and onboard video. Its one or the other. However I know you can get DVI-to-VGA adapters. Those might work for you so long as the card supports dual-monitor (no time to check right now).

3. Whitey

Whitey Private E-2

I'm pretty sure the card supports it, as it has the 3 ports, and my friend who used to have it used it for a dual (using VGA and DVI).

Anyone got any prices for a VGA-DVI adaptor? :p.

/Whitey

4. Valhallis

Valhallis Private First Class

I dunno the stores in Australia however ebay may be a place to look. You can get em cheap there.

Be sure to get a DVI-I-to-VGA adapter. Good luck.

5. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814998101

They cost less than $10 on-line. I don't know if stores like Best Buy carry them or not, but something like Microcenter, or CompUSA will have one for sure.

To clarify, make sure it is a DVI (male) to VGA (female) and not the other way around.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds