Dual Broadband Connections

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RexNoctis, Aug 1, 2007.

1. RexNoctis

RexNoctis Corporal

Hi All

I've had NTL (now Virgin Media) ever since we moved into this house back in 2005. We also had a BT line, so I use the Virgin line for business.

Ever since Virgin upgraded us to 20Mbit connection, unless I use multiple threads to Giganews, I can't get anywhere near the advertised speed. Worse than that, the ping times have gone through the roof!

Because we already had TalkTalk on the BT line, I've got them to add the free ADSL to the line. Now I've got the 20Mbit Virgin and 6.5Mbit ADSL. Now, ideally I'd go and buy a router that has dual WAN ports, but this is probably overkill for what I want.

I currently have a Netgear WRT54 router running DD-WRT on the Virgin connection and a Draytek 2400W on the ADSL line. My main PC, server, Media Center PC and laptop connect to the Netgear while my main PC and X-BOX connect to the Draytek. Apart from my main PC, there is no connection between the two networks, mainly because I haven't sorted out DHCP servers and stuff yet.

I want to have the laptops and server running on the 20Mbit Virgin and my main PC to use the ADSL for gaming but I still want my main PC to be able to see the existing network for films, printing etc. I do have 2 NICS on the main PC. Is there a way of forcing game packets to use the ADSL NIC while everything else uses the second NIC connected to the internal network and Virgin? The only way I can do this at the moment is to disable the internal NIC when playing games, this isn't ideal as the wife can't watch films that are stored on the main PC. (And if she can't watch her films, I don't get time to play games anyway! :))

Any ideas would be welcome, or links to cheap dual WAN routers if they can send game packets over the ADSL?

Cheers!

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

3. RexNoctis

RexNoctis Corporal

That Hawking router looks ideal, just trying to find someone selling it in the UK!

Never thought of using the gateway IP address, only ever had one of them before so it didn't occur to me.

Many Thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds