Taskbar and Start Menu Properties (past items in Taskbar)

Discussion in 'Software' started by oma, May 24, 2008.

1. oma

oma MajorGeek

Hi all,

Past items in Taskbar.

There are many leftover items of software that I used to have before in this section. For one reason or another they're still showing up as past items, although I removed that software a long time ago in the Add/Remove Programs. Do these items interfere with the speed of starting up the computer? I like to have my 'puter as clean as possible. ;)

I would like to remove them if possible but can't find a way to do it.

1. Can they be removed?
    2. If so, HOW?

Windows XP Home.

Thank you!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi oma

Yes you can remove these as they are not automatically removed when software is removed, no they dont hamper the startup process, but I personally like to remove them as I like things tidy, just need a simple button to do this proces automatically and one thing I have suggested to MSFT to add.

Open Regedit ( goto Start > Run and type regedit and hit enter )
    Locate the registry key location HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify and right click the folder and choose Export ( this will backup that location for you )

then Delete the two values mentioned in bold ( agian right click each of them and choose delete ) IconStreams and PastIconsStream once deleted hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and look for explorer.exe in the Processes Tab and click it and choose End Process ( at this point it is perfectly normal for your taskbar and all desktop icons to disapear )

Then with the Task Manager still open click the top menu option of New Task (Run...) and in the Open box type explorer and hit enter.

Then when you check the Customize Notifications they will all be gone ( apart from some running ones ) best bet is to restore all your actual running tray processes is to re-boot.

Note for Vista users only this is slightly different as below.

Open Regedit ( goto Start > and in Start Search box type regedit and hit enter )
    Locate the registry key location HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify and right click the folder and choose Export ( this will backup that location for you ) then Delete the two values mentioned ( again right click each of them and choose delete ) IconStreams and PastIconsStream once deleted hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and look for explorer.exe in the Processes Tab and click it and choose End Process ( at this point it is perfectly normal for your taskbar and all desktop icons to disapear )

with the Task Manager still open click the top menu option of New Task (Run...) and in the Open box type explorer and hit enter.

When you check the Customize Notifications they will all be gone ( apart from some running ones ) best bet is to restore all your actual running tray processes is to re-boot.

3. oma

oma MajorGeek

Hi Halo,
    Just like you I like things tidy! Great that you've asked Microsift to address this topic!!

To remove some of the items in the Past Items in the Taskbar, seems quite complicated for a newbie like me. There is also some "running" stuff that I like to keep in the Past Items section, such as "safely remove hardware", AVG etc. (I downloaded and re-installed AVG a few times) If I understand you correctly, these will be kept?
    Thanks.

4. DavidGP

Hi oma

No should be ok for you this one just take it slow when doing, yes the running items will be added back to this list, many immediatly, but also reboot when done to refresh the list.

5. oma

oma MajorGeek

Hi Halo,

I did it and it worked!! :-D Initially I was afraid to do it because I've never touched the registry!! Yes I followed your instructions carefully and rebooted afterwards.

Thank you so very, very much for your excellent advise and clear instructions!!

6. DavidGP

Hi oma

Good stuff, glad it worked for you :)

Now create a word or notepad doc and save the instructions for use at a later date, I tend to keep a few folders with text docs on step by steps on an useful fixes or tweaks, makes it easier to find them.

7. oma

oma MajorGeek

Thanks Halo!

Yes, I'm old fashioned, so printed out your instructions prior to fixing it, as my guide on how to do it, for safekeeping and future reference. ;)

8. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

If you are using CCleaner's drive cleaner you can check the 'tray notifications cache' box in the Windows tab for cleaning, and all the past items will be removed. Then follow the previous posted method to kill and restart explorer.exe in Task Manager. As you resume using your pc the Windows based items will reappear as deployed. Then go back to CCleaner and uncheck the tray notifications cache box so your expected past items won't be removed with every cleaning. :cool

9. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Do you by chance have instructions on how to do this in Windows 7?
    Thanks!
    :)

10. Coffee Guy

Coffee Guy Private E-2

11. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Oooops!

Basically the same steps as DavidGP's XP routine, but the path is a little different. A quick walkthrough is located at ghacks.net.

Edit: Just realized that DGP listed the Vista path also, which should mirror the Win 7 path.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds