New pop up on starting computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by moiraf100, Jul 10, 2006.

1. moiraf100

moiraf100 Private E-2

Hi there
    For the last couple of days I have had the following message on starting my PC (XP Pro). It's in the form of a pop-up box with Windows - Success in the bar at the top, and in the actual box the message STATUS_WAIT 0 with three buttons with Cancel, Try Again, Continue on them.
    It doesn't matter which one I press, the box goes and nothing happens. It doesn't seem to have any effect on the computer.
    I've disconnected the printer (thought it might be that) and rolled the machine back 4 days, but still the message is there.
    Do you have any ideas?
    When I google, I don't understand what I see.
    Thank you:confused:

2. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Any chance you could use Process Explorer to see what process is causing the dialog. We might be able to find out what it is then

Matt

3. moiraf100

moiraf100 Private E-2

OK, I've downloaded and opened the programme, but what do I do with the information?

4. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

On the toolbar at the top there is a sort of target like button Click ()far right) on it (and don't let go) and drag it to the title bar of the dialog and let go and see what gets highlighted.

Matt

5. moiraf100

moiraf100 Private E-2

It's csrss.exe in the left hand (process) pane and in the r/h pane it says (in columns) it says

PID column - 824
    CPU column - is empty
    Description column - Client Server Runtime Process
    Company name column - Microsoft Corporation

Does this help at all?

6. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Thats a bit odd

csrss.exe is the main executable for the Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem. This process manages most graphical commands in Windows. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

HOWEVER

csrss.exe could also be a process which is registered as some form of malware.

What does process explorer show as the Publisher Details

7. moiraf100

moiraf100 Private E-2

Might it be a Trojan?
    How do i find the publisher?
    Should I run a virus scan or something?

8. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

In Process Explorer its listed in the column called 'Company Name'

9. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

10. moiraf100

moiraf100 Private E-2

It say Microsoft Corporation (see earlier post).
    I've just gone to the Symantec site, and I'm going to disable system restore and run a scan in safe mode.
    Luckily I can follow the instructions for removal from my laptop.
    I have NIS on the machine, but I have heard that it isn't rated!
    Will pop on tomorrow evening and let you kn ow if I go9t rid of it.
    Thanks for your help.

11. moiraf100

moiraf100 Private E-2

Well, Nortons kept erroring in safe mode!? Have to try it normally.

12. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds