Hotmail attachment viewing problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by dopeyindublin, Jan 13, 2004.

1. dopeyindublin

dopeyindublin Private E-2

Hi,

MS Win2000Pro, MS Internet Explorer.

I haven't been able to view any hotmail attachments for a couple of months. If I open a file with an attachment (paper clip beside it) the categories tabs I get in the email are From, Sent, To and Subject. I used to have an Attachment category just below these where the attached filename(s) could be seen but since Microsoft have changed the Hotmail format I have lost this facility. This happens on any PC I log into (home/work). My current solution is to forward the email to my work account where I can then open the attachment fine. This has begun to wear me down though so I would be grateful for a solution.

Strangely enough my wife's hotmail account is fine and we can open attachments as per normal.

Apologies if this is not the forum to post such a question but I can't find anything on MSN website or elsewhere.

Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance,
    dopeyindublin

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Do you and your wife have different user accounts as well?

As in, when you check her Hotmail, is it under your account or hers?

Additionally, do you have this same behavior if you check your hotmail account from work?

3. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Sergeant

It might be your Hotmail settings are wrong. Go to the hotmail webpage, log in, go to the options page. Then go to Mail Display Settings.
    It should look like this:
    Click me

I think the Message Headers is what is important. Hope this helps. Let me know either way.

4. dopeyindublin

Yes ... different hotmail accounts. She can see her attachments in her hotmail account, I can't see my attachments in my hotmail account.

Yes ... same behaviour for both accounts in work and at home.

Hmmm

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ok, I meant user accounts on the computer.

But same behavior means most likely as posted above, your hotmail configuration settings are messed up.

Or the account is corrupted.

6. dopeyindublin

Archangel,

Yes I've played around with the settings and they are exactly the same as you have.

Hmmm

7. dopeyindublin

ArchAngel/Adrynalyne,

Thanks for your help. I think I have it worked out...seems that I could not view my recent attachments that I have received because they have all been in MIME v1.0 format. By changing the Message Headers to Advanced under Options/Mail Display Settings/Advanced, then opening my email and clicking on "View E-mail Message Source", then copying the html text into notepad, then saving the file as an html file and then opening this file ... eventually I can see what was sent to me. If there is a simpler way to see MIME attachments...please let me know!

Summary - MIME attachments seem only to be viewed if your Mail Display Settings are set to Advanced.

Seems a lot to do just to view a Mime attachment but we are talking about a Microsoft product here!

Thanks again,
    dopeyindublin

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds