Where does my trash go to?

Discussion in 'Software' started by maryanjo, Dec 23, 2007.

1. maryanjo

maryanjo Private First Class

Hi everyone! For those who are not too busy with holiday rush, I have a question to ponder. As the title states, my question is Where does my trash end up? There are two types of trash I'm talking about ... a) the trash from my desktop recycle bin, and b) my deleted emails.

a) Over the years I have used my machine I have not considered who or what picks up the trash! I installed a file shredder and use that for my personal stuff that I don't want retrieved, but everything else I just empty the recycle bin. But even with the shredder, I need to know what happens to the files or bits of files. Are they building up in some dark corner of my hard drive clogging my system?

b) Someone asked me what happens to emails when we delete them. I couldn't answer. In fact, I'd never even considered the question before. Now I feel a great desire to know where they go. They don't go into my desktop recycle. Do they go back to the server to be dumped in some great municipal dump? Are they, too, accumulating in the same dark corner? If so, I need to clean it out. How do I do that? I don't want my old emails floating up to the surface like bodies in a flooded graveyard. If that's too graphic an image to contemplate, sorry but I don't know how else to describe it.

Have a wonderful holiday and prosperous new year to you all. :D

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

What happens to stuff emptied from the recycle bin is this: The files or folder all have a 'leader' or an 'index header' that tells the file system in Windows that it's a file of a specific type and gives it's size and location. When the bin is emptied, this header (for lack of a better word; I'm not sure what the technical term is) is changed and tells Windows that this space is now empty or the header is just removed completely. But the actual file remains more or less instact until it is over-written by new data. This is how data recovery programs work: they find this data and then can rebuild the headers for the files based on the info found in the file. A free space shredder makes one (or more) passes through all space marked as free on the hard drive, and writes 00 (or zero-zero) to each and every individual bit of space marked as free. Some of the more complex forensic tools can recover data even if the space has been shredded by a single pass. They do this by looking at bits of data and using logic and deductive reasoning, they fill in the gaps with data that logically fits. It may not be 100% perfect, but many times it's close enough. So, when running a shredder, make several passes, or use one that has a high standard of security, or use an app like DPWiper to remove sensitive data. DPWiper uses Dept of Defense security standards in its deletion of files. Check it out here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/DP_Wiper_d4916.html As for emails: it depends on which email client you use. If you use an online email like YourName @ Yahoo!.com, then you'd have to find out from them what happens to deleted mails, because I have no idea. If you use a client that's PC based like Outlook then the emails are actually stored on your hard drive like any other file, and the deletion of these emails is the same as any other file as described above.

3. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Wow! Awesome explanation! Thanks!
    [​IMG]

4. maryanjo

Well that is a very good explanation. I need to get in touch with yahoo.
    Now about those emails I delete from Outlook. You say they are just the same as the deleted files in my recycle bin. Well how come I don't see them in there. Obviously Outlook doesn't resend them back to the server.
    So where do those end up on my hard drive? I'm concerned about the spam emails that I've 'deleted' (but not really eh). This requires some further investigation.
    Oh by the way, thank you for the shredder app link.

Have a good one :p

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Outlook stores your emails in a folder on your hard drive. When you delete something from within Outlook, it's same process as if something was deleted from the Recycle Bin, but it doesn't actually go to the Recycle Bin. As I explained earlier, the header for the folder is changed so that Windows, and Outlook, and every other program thinks that the space previously occupied by folder is now empty. Technically, the data is really still there (and can usually be recovered), but will be over-written as soon as that space on the drive is needed by some other data. So it gets "erased" the same, it just skips the Recycle Bin. Here's a link that explains a bit about Outlook, how your emails end up on your PC, and where they are stored.
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA011124801033.aspx
    Outlook has a Deleted Items folder. This acts as the Recycle Bin for Outlook. It's a temporary location for stuff you want to get rid of. It acts just like the Recycle Bin. When you decide to empty the Deleted Items folder, the items there are removed the same way a file from the Recycle Bin is removed: by changing the header information so the space can be re-used.
    After you've deleted a bunch of files from the Recycle Bin and the Deleted Items folder, after you've uninstalled some programs, and done some basic maintenance and clean up, you may want to think about running a free space shredder. It will scan your hard drive for space marked as free, and completely 'shred' any bits of data it finds so it cannot be recovedred. nCleaner features a free spapce shredder, and it's free to use: http://www.majorgeeks.com/nCleaner_d5476.html Here's a great link about general PC maintenance including keeping your hard drive clean of junk files and keeping Windows running smoothly: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=106650

EDIT- I came across another shredder while looking for something else, and thought of you ;) Here it is: http://www.majorgeeks.com/CyberShredder_d4823.html

6. maryanjo

Dlb you are a hero! Okay now I understand and thank you so much for the freebie links. I got to thinking ... those of us with large hard drives could go a long time before these junked files get overwritten so, yes, it makes sense to get rid of them when one can. I'm going to do that. I'm going to look for the email recycle bin, shred the contents, and put a bit cleaner through it. This should be regular maintenance work. Now I realise what a slob I've been ... also probably one of the reasons (I realise there's more to it) my pc acts like its on prozac. Thanks a bunch! Happy New Year!

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

;) Glad that I could help!
    and Happy New Year to you too :dancer :wine

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds