Acer Aspire SOUND problem. ALC888

Discussion in 'Software' started by jlin5, Aug 29, 2008.

1. jlin5

jlin5 Private E-2

Hi, I got a Acer Aspire T695 with Realtek ALC888 sound chip. I also suffer from no sound 3 days after I bought the computer, when I removed headset from front plugs, it's been a year since I heard the last sound.
    Tried removed sound driver and install latest driver downloaded from Realtek or Acer, nothing worked, no ? or ! shown in device manager. when I plug in headset, Realtek HD manager window always pop up, and device manager shown everything is normal. just no sound.

I checked Window audio servece , it's turned on and set to automatic too.

Two days ago, I took computer to Acer depot, after 30 mintues diagnosis, technician declare that the only solution he can suggest is to hit Alt-F10 and restore to original factory setting. which will erase all data and file on drive C:
    I was not ready for this endavor, so I took back the computer, and still wonder whether there is a less impact fix for this muting problem.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major
    A full system wipe and restore seems a bit extreme to solve a problem with audio. From the sounds of it, it may be that the audio chip is damaged. It may have been damaged somehow when using the front audio jack, or maybe the front jacks are damaged which is causing problems. Unplug the power cord and open the case. Follow the leads from the front panel audio jacks to the motherboard and disconnect the cable from the motherboard; pay attention to how it re-connects. Plug your speakers into the rear audio jack(s). Now, power up the PC and go into the BIOS and see if there's a setting for the front panel audio; some PCs have a setting for this, some don't. If you have it, disable the front panel audio ONLY if possible. Be sure to save the changes to the BIOS, exit the BIOS, and restart and let it boot into Windows as you normally would. Did you get sound from the speakers? If not, please post the make and model of the motherboard (it should be printed on the motherboard itself, or you can use a system info tool like PCWizard 2008 to find the info) and we'll go from there. Good luck, and keep us posted!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds