Trying to gain access to access denied directories in dos

Discussion in 'Software' started by William, Jan 3, 2004.

1. William

William Private E-2

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to gain access to files in dos which give the message access denied. I've tried to remove the attributes, but get the same message. (access denied). I booted from a win xp boot disk set and chose the repair windows installation... I am thinking i may have to boot to a second operating system,,, but was wondering if this is the only way, or even possible if i install a second operating system...I would rather not install the second operating system if there's anyway around it... Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks William

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
    Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1)
    Computer Name BILLSCADDY
    User Name William
    Logon Domain BILLSCADDY

Motherboard:
    CPU Type Intel Celeron-S, 1400 MHz (14 x 100)
    Motherboard Name Intel Seattle II SE440BX-2 (2 ISA, 4 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
    Motherboard Chipset Intel 82440BX
    System Memory 256 MB (SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Phoenix (10/13/00)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
    Video Adapter NVIDIA RIVA TNT (Microsoft Corporation) (16 MB)
    3D Accelerator nVIDIA RIVA TNT
    Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB]

Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter Yamaha DS-XG Audio CODEC

Storage:
    Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
    Disk Drive ST3120026A (120 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
    Disk Drive WDC AC313600D
    Optical Drive HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8520B (52x/24x/52x CD-RW)
    Optical Drive LG CD-ROM CRD-8400B (40x CD-ROM)

Partitions:
    C: (FAT32) 13024 MB (8486 MB free)
    D: (FAT32) 114442 MB (99343 MB free)

Input:
    Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse
    Game Controller Microsoft PC-joystick driver
    Game Controller Microsoft PC-joystick driver

Network:
    Primary IP Address xxx.xx.xxx.xxx
    Primary MAC Address 00-00-00-00-00-00
    Network Adapter WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface (xxx.xx.xxx.xxx)
    Modem Broadxent DSI V.92 PCI DI3631

Peripherals:
    Printer HP DeskJet 812C
    Printer Simply Fax
    Printer Simply Rendering Subsystem
    USB Device Logitech WingMan Extreme Digital 3D (USB)
    USB Device USB Human Interface Device

2. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Sergeant

Well, good thing you have FAT32 partitions. That makes it easier. But first, what file do you want to get at?

You will need to boot into dos with an older boot disk, pre-XP. Because with the XP repair, you are limited to only the root and windows folders. Once you boot with the disk then you can do what you want.

3. William

William Private E-2

I was wanting to get to the system volume information folder. My son had a virus in these files one time that the virus scan couldn't repair. I tried to delete it but couldn't.. My daughter is running win me and just had to delete one of the files on her pc cause the virus scan couldn't fix it...while we were working on hers I noticed that it was taking about 15 min just to scan the files in the restore folder... so we deleted them...I thought i'd check mine I noticed that i have a system volume information folder on each harddrive each with at least 20 folders in each... I knew it made a restore point each time i installed a program but didn't realize that it saved all of them.When i booted using a win 98 boot disk, these directories don't show up when using the cd / dir command how ever you can log on to them, but no files are shown... when you try to delete or even change the attributes it will say file not found... when i log on to the c:\ and use the dir command system volume information doesn't show up not even system~1 but i can log on to that dir. I made a guess on that dir name. then used the dir command at the c:\system~1 prompt, and got 0 files ,, . dir ,, ..dir. there should be a restore folder in it... actually it show _restore, but i tried every possible way i could think it might be spelled for dos and couldn't log on to the restore dir... I tried the del c:\system~1\*.* ,,,, and got the file not found.. also tried RD c:\system~1\*.* file not found... do you have any other suggestions? Thanks William

4. William

William Private E-2

Thanks Xflat that did the trick,,, but in case i need to access one of these access denied folders ,,, is there a way???

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yes their is but Xflats way is still the easiest and best way of removing data from inside SysVol info folder....

but if you want access to those folders you will first have to make them unhidden.... goto Tools > Folder Options > View and put the blob in " Show hidden files and folders" then untick "Hide protected opperating system files" a warning will appear click YES

then goto C: drive and all the hidden and protected files will be on show.... from then you will need to take ownership of the Sys Vol info folder

right click the folder and pick properties > Security > Add > Advanced > find now... look for your admin name and click that > OK > OK

you should now be able to access the SYS Vol Info folder... bugger all in it except the stored SR files and a few MS office configs

dunno if the above will work with XP home tho as it has less Admin functions than PRO

someone has smoking typing fingers Xflat ;)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2004
  6. William

William Private E-2

Thanks Halo... this might be useful information to use on other folders too...
    I don't think I can learn to much about these machines.. William :D

7. pilarcita

pilarcita Private E-2

Hello guys.........this is my first time on this web site....I am having a problem where I cannot access the msn hot mail, and great expectations dating service web sites. I have no idea why. I read the note about how the computer may be blocking the IP address..but I have no idea how to unblock it. When I try to go to those web sites it tells me "page cannot be displayed". I have not been able to access my hot mail accnt in a while now...can you guys help ??? Thanks .......... Rosie

8. William

William Private E-2

Not sure what operating system your using but you might try to change your security settings. You can change them by clicking the tools button and clicking the internet options then security tab. click on the custom level button. the lower the settings the more sites you will be able to access. An other possibility is that the content advisor has been enabled. If you have not enabled it, I wouldn't ,,, If you or any one does you'll need the password to change the settings. Good luck.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds