Something called "Windows Cardspace" appeared on my computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by alterintel, Sep 2, 2014.

1. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

A new program has suddenly appeared in my control panel. It calls itself "windows cardspace". It says "Manage information cards used to log on and register with websites and online services." I did not download this or give permission for it. Nor would I want a program that seems to just add more complexity to technology, which is already incomprehensible to me.
    I looked in my programs on the start menu and it isn't there. {I have windows xp professional, ser pack 2]. I looked in add/remove programs and it isn't there. I looked in the list of programs in CCleaner, where they list them so you can uninstall via CCleaner, and it isn't listed there. I then ran 'search' and all it brought up was : sessionsstore.js , 24kb; C:\documents and settings\name\applicationdata\mozilla\firefox. [a Jscript file].
    What is this? On the internet it says it was discontinued, I think. Is this malware of some kind posing as a legit file? Why isn't it listed in any of my program lists and why can't i find it in search? How then do I get rid of it?
    I just had a tech come to my home and declare my computer clean very recently. It cost a lot of money. I would appreciate your assistance.
    Thanks,
    alterintel

2. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

To add to my last post, I went to "EHOw" and it said cardspace was a program that automatically downloaded with netframe 3, which is on my computer but I didn't download it, and its date shows it came on the computer a month ago. How? unless the tech put it on. They do a lot of things you don't even know they've done, and I can't ask him as he is out of town.
    Alterintel

3. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Windows Cardspace and .NET Framework are part of Windows and as such are not malware nor are they topics for the Malware Forum. As such, I'm moving your thread to the Software Forum. Note that thousands of applications require .NET Framework to be installed. It is quite normal to have this on your computer. In fact, it would be abnormal to not have it.

4. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

Don't worry. Both Card Space and the .NET Framework files are supposed to be there and both were probably installed as part of Windows Updates. The former you don't need but there's no reason to delete it. Check out this page for an explanation of what it is (or just google "microsoft windows card space" for yourself):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_CardSpace

The .NET distribution you almost certainly do need as it is required to run various programs on your computer, so don't delete it.

Judging from the questions you've posed in various threads on this forum, I do believe you're gonna give yourself an ulcer if you keep looking for stuff to get bunged up about in regards to your computer. Just accept the fact that there will always be a lot to learn about your system, surf prudently, use a sandboxing app for downloads, run a real-time antiviral scanner, employ disk imaging backups... and you'll almost certainly be fine.

5. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

@alterintel,

In your initial post for this thread, you say you're running XP Pro SP2. You need to download and install SP3 (if you're running 32-bit XP). As it stands now, you're missing a lot of Security Updates and are EXTREMELY vulnerable to attack by exploits and other malware. Microsoft support for SP2 ended in 2010.

6. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

mdonah,
    Thanks for your concern. I will get on it. I had thought they had stopped doing updates for xp.

alterintel

7. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Rustysavage, I do many of the things you have suggested. I like to talk to you guys [and gals]. You're all so smart about these technical things. So not so much worried as just liking to participate, tho you all might not like talking back to someone as technically deficient as I am. But there is also a whole world of people out there who don't know as much as me. Scary for you all, but true. So helping me will keep you in practice. Some of my older friends don't even have computers. Some are afraid computers will upset their lifestyle in some way, or their viewpoints. I like that the computer is a good research tool, and I don't have to run to a library, ect anymore every time I need to know something. Deep down I think the computer is some kind of magic from another dimension, and people just think its technology. [one day you will see - just joking.....]
    Alterintel

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  8. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Chasling,
    I had no idea. Glad its not a virus.
    Alterintel

9. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Along the lines of what you state here, when I reply to a post to try and help someone, I presume that the Original Poster isn't knowledgeable about their computers and go on that idea (pretty presumptuous isn't it?:)). Some have found that to be condescending even though that's not my intent. I'm well aware that many people here are much more proficient than I am, even some that are looking for help. But, like my Signature says, If we can't learn something new every day... So, these forums are also helping me to learn more and I enjoy them thoroughly.

10. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

@alterintel - I hope you didn't take my last post the wrong way. At the time, I was cringing at the angst that sprang from the pages of your posts and wanted in some way to reassure you that your computer was not going to hell in a hand basket, despite the unexpected behaviors and observations that you described. I admire anyone who is willing to jump headfirst into an unfamiliar world like computing. You are right to remain ever vigilant about your computer, and to ask in here about uncertainties. Just don't let those uncertainties overwhelm you or you won't be able to enjoy the ride. Despite all of the inherent aggrevations, computing can be truly fun. Would hate to see you miss out.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds