Ram - CL2.5 vs CL3

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dave5872, May 6, 2004.

1. dave5872

dave5872 Private E-2

I am putting together a basic system, I am definitely not going Cadillac (maybe more like a Honda Civic). Is the difference between CL2.5 and CL3 RAM worth paying an additional $22 for the CL2.5 (512MB)? I plan on playing games and DVDs on my computer. Thanks.

2. Mistic

Mistic Private E-2

You know what processor and chipset you want to use? The differance between 2.5 and 3 is not even noticable. Usually people who want to overclock look for the lowest timings they can so they can get the most out of their processor.

I do recommend trying to get a name brand though.

3. dave5872

dave5872 Private E-2

Probably going with the Nforce2 chipset and an Athlon XP CPU (haven't decided which). The memory I am trying to decide between is Kingston PC3200 CL3.0 ($91) and Kingston PC3200 CL2.5 ($113).

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Honda Civic!
    NO, not worth $22 save ya money.
    As Mystic said, You would not notice differance!

Nforce2! YES! GOOD! choice!
    If the board you purchase supports Dual channel Memory, consider purchase two sticks of ram could be 2x256mb ( twin pairs of memory can be found at good price)

Opps forgot, Honda! ( could make it a fast Honda!)

stay away from PC Chips and ECS Boards!
    Best to go with Asus, Gigibyte, or Abit, motherboard.
    IMO! They Are The Big Three Of Mobos
    Yes thier are other good boards too!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds