Pc freezes on windows xp pro logo when booting up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trez, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Trez

Trez Private E-2

well after accomplishing my hard drive problem i've come across yet another issue. my system was hit by alot of spyware. i ran spybot s&d whic removed most of it, it advised to reboot system so that it can remove the items that remaind. reboot my system and when the windows xp pro logo comes up with the progress bar going back and forth, all of a sudden the progress bar stops, and the booting process stops. i tried to boot up in safe mode, and after listing some of the .sys files, it just stops again never completing the boot. now this was done while my new hard drive was connected. so i replaced the hd with my previous one that had xp on it and it did the same thing. on the old hard drive, i did a clean install of win 98se, and it boots up just fine everytime, however if i try to install windows xp pro again. i get the same problem. i have run anti virus and spyware scanner and removed whatever spyware that was lingering. any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

2. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

Reformat do the whole ordeal... if that doesnt work, you MAY need a new hd..

Also, try a different hd.

3. Trez

Trez Private E-2

tried different hard drive (my old and my new) and reformated both, and they only os that it will boot successfully is 98se. with either drive, after reformatting and installing windows xp, i still run into the same problem.

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Post your system Specs
    Has this system run XP before?

5. Trez

Trez Private E-2

pc system
    compaq presario 5000
    66 MHz motherboard
    OS
    Windows xp pro sp2
    intel celeron processor 598 MHz, 384MBs of RAM

prior to this problem it ran windows xp pro with no problems. when i bought this pc (used) it had windows ME on it and i upgrade to Pro and never had a problem. i recently upgraded to a larger hard drive where i was running into problems with that (http://forum.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=717369#post717369)

fixed that problem, got the new hard drive working, reinstalled windows (old version of xp) and working with no problem.
    next i was plagued with some spyware, i ran spybot search and destroy to eliminate the spyware, which it removed most, in order to the program to remove the rest, i had to reboot system, so i properly reboot the system and on the windows logo with the blue progress bar going across the screen and all of a suddent the blue bar just stops and the the system never finishes booting up. i tried to boot up in safe mode, and after it loaded some of the system files the system stopped again, just showing the list of .sys drivers that it loaded up so far.

i have been able to install windows 98se, and upgrade to windows ME without an issue with booting up. but, if i put my windows xp disc in my cd rom and reboot, select to install windows xp pro and go to the setup window, it'll load all the driver (at the bottom of the page) and as soon as it says "starting windows"...it sits there, never moving forward. i havent tried upgrading to xp from ME yet. but i've tried upgrading from 98se to XP and still had the same problem. i dont know exactly what the differences are between xp and the other OS that would prevent xp from not loading. it doesnt appear to be a hardware problem because everything is working normal on Windows ME.

6. Trez

Trez Private E-2

if this info helps any, when i was plagued by the spyware, i started receiving alot of the following messages "a fatal exception OD has ocurred at FFFF:OOOOFFFF the current application will be terminated"

it seemed to increasingly get worst to the point where the icons on my desktop would no longer show up and eventually, my system freezing when booting up.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds