Direct Connection problems PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JimBeamNC, Feb 20, 2006.

1. JimBeamNC

JimBeamNC Private E-2

Ok I am trying to host a server for nascar 2003 and when I do it is giving me my internal ethernet card ip. Which is 192.168.1.1 . I have my external ip address that i give the person that is trying to direct connect to me after i try to host a game. But it will not let him join. I have dsl the modem or router is a sprint 660 series and I have no firewalls on and my isp doesnt block any ports. Is there anyway i can get my exteral ip to show up instead of that ethernet card ip or am I just out of luck. Could someone please help me out on this im sure im not the only one with this problem?:confused:

Running:windows xp home edition

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I think the Sprint 660 is a router as well as a DSL Modem. if it is you will need to foreward the necessay port or ports to your computer through the router. Your manuel for the 660 should tell how to do that and the server installation instructions should tell you what ports to foreward.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Please stick to one thread on a given topic JimBeamNC, multiples will get deleted, cheers :)

4. JimBeamNC

JimBeamNC Private E-2

Just got off the phone with my isp and they said that since I had a dynamic ip no one could connect to my computer or that i couldnt host any directip games like tiger woods. That just doesnt sound right sounds like the guy must be a idiot, because I have lots of friends that have a dynamic ip that can do this.

5. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

In order for someone to connect to your computer from the internet, they have to have your IP address. Think of it like a phone number. The dynamic IP can change each time it renews which can be every few hours or every few days. Now imagine you have a phone that gets a new number every few days. You would still be able to call people but how would people be able to call you withou knowing what your number has changed to? That is what your ISP is telling you.

I have comcast cable internet and I am on a dynamic IP, however my address only changes when comcast thinks I'm doing something I shouldn't or when I unplug my cable modem for more that a few hours.

There are services out there that will track your dynamic IP and allow you to proxy through their server on a static IP, meaning they foreward it to your computer. They generaly charge for this service.

6. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds