how do i change ie6 default search engine?

Discussion in 'Software' started by cyberwil, May 7, 2006.

1. cyberwil

cyberwil Private First Class

i would like to change me ie6 default search engine from msn to google. how do i do this. thanx in advance ;)

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. cyberwil

thanx halo but i'm experiencing a few problems. i ran the registry entry and i recieve an error messege "cannot imort...some keys are open by the system or other process". i ran it in safe mode successfull but when i started windows normally the search page had not changed. please help.

4. DavidGP

Which OS and do you have Admin access?

Make sure all browser windows are closed.

Which anti-malware programs do you have as one of them maybe blocking changes to IE, disable them and try the REG file again as it worked ok for me.

5. cyberwil

;) thanx halo. problem solved. i use xp home. spysweeper and bitdefender 9 standard. i had to disable both of them to be able add the registry key

6. DavidGP

OK cool glad you found the culprit or I feared we may have to go in dirty and attack the registry manually ;)

7. cyberwil

thank God we didn't have to. thanks again halo ;-)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds