Fix annoying webmail line breaks

Discussion in 'Software' started by mjnc, Dec 29, 2014.

1. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Is there a way to override or eliminate the automatic line breaks inserted into web email text?

I write the email text in a text editor and format the line lengths so that it makes a comfortable read.
    When I paste the text into the webmail message box, it looks just as originally formatted.
    After the message is sent, every other line is broken to a length of about two words.
    It looks like crap and is difficult to read !!!
    That's just the opposite of what I created.

This is with Time Warner webmail.
    Thanks.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What text editor are you using?

3. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

PSPad 4.5.9 (2503)

There is the option of not using any hard line breaks and leaving each paragraph as a continuous line with Word Wrap Lines option ON.
    That causes lines to wrap within the text entry area of the editor.

I just sent myself a test email like that, and in the received mail, the lines were formatted evenly.

That works, but it means I can't set the line lengths myself.
    I have to do that with Facebook timeline text too.
    Would be better to have more control.

If, or when, I forget, then someone gets a really screwy looking email.

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

You can't change any of that while sticking with your ISP's webmail. You would need to use the account in an email client such as Thunderbird or Office Outlook to get better control of text formatting, and even then your options will be limited. You could also try using a Gmail or MS Outlook account as they have formatting options that may suit you better.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Would using the built into Windows "Wordpad" not Notepad work ok for you as Wordpad is a really slim like version of Office Word.

6. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Thanks Earthling.

I'm reviewing articles to compare Gmail and Outlook.com.
    On my previous computer with Windows XP, I used Outlook Express.
    After building the new machine a year ago, I decided to use the webmail instead of choosing and installing an email client.
    Now I have to revisit this choice and the email issues.

Hi David.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have installed Jarte as an alternative to Wordpad.
    Not sure which one is better. I haven't taken the time to really get familiar with the interface and features of either program,
    but I have used Jarte a couple of times.
    I usually don't need the features of a word processor so I rely on a text editor instead.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds