Windows/Internet Explorer not Responding WinXP - Anniepotts

Discussion in 'Software' started by ANNIEPOTTS, Dec 29, 2014.

1. ANNIEPOTTS

ANNIEPOTTS Private First Class

I,too have same issue.Weary of getting "non-responsive".Happens ALL the time with Firefox 5.0 and 80% of the time with IE8.I have a 14 yr old HP (with,gasp,XP...I have no $$$ choice,honest).Like a dunce,I bought Kaspersky PURE.Nightmare now.PLUS: program from MG? reimage?they wanted $46.95 to "fix" 3 problems.It(Reimage) is like a cancer.Wow! it totally destroyed everything.Finally removed it-mess in the registry.All I want is the hanging of non-responsive to stop.MG has kept me going all these years.I think I screwed myself with PURE.:cry
    I wrote to them and they replied:buy their premium service.Well,I will pay MG.Do you have such a program? God Bless for a peaceful,Happy New Year

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Re: Windows/Internet Explorer Not Responding

ANNIEPOTTS...

Very glad you added your post to the thread, but would you mind starting another thread about your issue?

There is alot that can be done to improve your situation, but it will get a little bit confusing trying to handle the original poster's concerns and yours too in the same thread.

Hope you understand. Not being critical I promise. It's just that your concerns deserve full attention in a separate thread...

:)

3. ANNIEPOTTS

Re: Windows/Internet Explorer Not Responding

what a day-I just hit the share button and lost my reply.The problem is Microsoft-my computer-with the XP-is too old to function! what a crock.MG kept me going with HJT,Combofix,Malwarebytes and other freebies for 14 years.PURE was not the problem.I got nasty letters from Microsoft-saying all things get old and must be replaced.Well,with what? paper money bought in a kid's store? We do dog rescue-just took in a dog from a neighbor who had Alzheimer's and forgot to feed the poor thing.We have her now.Sick of all the mess and greed here in the USA.Kids so enthralled with Dr.Dre head"beats" and fancy tablets,laptops.Sorry to dump on you.I try to do good and get crap from it.Well,God Bless the MG crew.You guys (and gals) do rock.Learned so much from you all.Have a Blessed New Year and a life of love,peace and happiness.Back to pencil and paper,I guess.Took me 1 hour to just be able to get on this forum.Very sick and very tired.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Moved to new thread.

Hi Annie

Like AltBo mentions there is a lot we can do to help you, most of the time unresponsive software can be down to a slow running PC, too many applications running, too many security applications installed and malware, but lets go slow for you and start off with a basic item that will help us.

1. Run the below as we need to know what the full model and hardware your HP has got, used an older program as its log is good and runs fine with XP

2. Run the below as written and attach the log, this will help us know what's starting with your PC

I dont want this to sound condescending as I dont know your level of computing but many things to get your PC running a bit better will start coming with some slightly technical steps, especially the malware bit I'd have you run after the above has been done and some steps that will come from the above steps, like cleaning startups, removing excess security software etc. Do you have a relative or friend who is tech savvy at all you can ask to help?

If your ok with the above steps and feel confident to work on what we suggest you do to help with your PC issues, then GREAT :)

5. AtlBo

ANNIEPOTTS...

Thanks for replying back. GP has created a thread here for you. I know it's frustrating and sometimes downright maddening. Please follow DavidGP's advice as much as you can, and we'll see if we can get your "old XP" PC back up and running as expected.

Just want to encourage you. I am sure you love your PC. We love trying to help here, too, if that makes any sense, so I doubt anyone here minds that someone has an older PC, or any of that. I would like to say, though, that you can have a good used core 2 duo PC that will be a big improvement for about $50 delivered if you ever think you will be able to find that much.

If you at any point get interested in this, please let me know here or post another thread, and I will post for you how. You need 50 posts to use the personal messaging system at MGs, so that's why it will have to be in a post.

For the record, the day I was able to buy my first core 2 duo PC was one of the best days of my life. The change is so dramatic, if you can imagine a processor 5 or even 10 times stronger. Hard to believe it's the same size. I put so much energy into that old P4, and it was hard to change for me, but I am so glad I did.. I do still have a P4. I have fun kicking around on it...

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You should be running Firefox 12 (2012) not 5 (2011) the last supported version on XP without service packs
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-no-longer-works-some-versions-windows-xp

If you have service packs on the XP computer, you can install newer versions
    http://www.oldapps.com/firefox.php?system=windows_xp&PageSpeed=noscript

I'd suggest 24. 5 ESR which means extended support release. It is no longer updated but should work much better than v 5.

I'm running v 28 on my XP SP3 computer which only goes on the internet to get updates. The malicious malware removal tool is still offered and since Office 2007 is installed, it gets updates from time to time.

7. ANNIEPOTTS

God Bless ALL of you.Am starting Wednesday on what you want me to do.Tired,just plain tired today.
    Also,I did start a new post(here in software section)-entitled Yes,ALTBO.
    on 1/4,I get my ss disability.Will do!!!!!

People should know this:pLEASE follow and DO what the experts at MG ask for! remember,you are HERE because you need help.Another fine point: freebie.Not many places left like MG (although,must give a big Thanks to HJT/Whatthetech also).

To All,have a good night.

Rescue an animal from your local pound.Need help? I will do whatever I can (gratis)to assist you.Over 50+ years of helping animals.Not a one has ever bitten me,but many people have.

8. AtlBo

ANNIEPOTTS...

Same to you. Computers can sap the energy out of a person so fast, and they can be so entirely frustrating. Yet, I know how much they mean to people, because I know how much they mean to me and because of how much we all endure to keep the things running. Only tip I have in that regard is to try to take it easy when the PC isn't running up to expectations...well, that's what I try to do, even though it's easier to say than to do...

OK...I didn't mean to push you toward a new(er) computer if it's not in the budget right now. If you can squeeze the little extra, though, I feel like you can get something that will pay for itself (and more) in little unusual and unexpected ways...kind of like those critters you keep I guess...

Let us know when you are in the zone to tackle your PC problems. I am finding more and more that it just makes sense to wait until I am feeling 100% ready to give the PC the special attention it's always demanding...

:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds