Testing PS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mgrist, Mar 8, 2005.

1. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

Got a friend who was loading AOL and the computer just died, By chance or because of. It won't even turn on now. No fans no lights no nothing. Could it be the power supply picked this time to go out? He said it had been making noise. Can I test just the hard drive? What else should I do- check

2. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

to test the power supply, UNPLUG EVERYTHING inside the computer EXCEPT the hard drive(s) and cdrom drive(s). then take the big motherboard power connector and connect the green wire to one of the blacks. this should turn on the power supply. if the hard drive spins, it probably works.

if it's the power supply at fault, you can get a decently priced power supply from fortron found at www.newegg.com

if the power supply is working, then it's probably the motherboard. report back, soldier!

oh, and congrats on making 1000 posts:)

3. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

No nothing connecting green to black. Also I like to never got the main PS plug off the board, kindof of like it was welding on. There was also a soot smudge on the Mobo plug it self on one corner, not a good sigh. What would be your next step??

4. Strogg

hrm. well, take the tab of the power supply connector and press it down hard, then take the connector and not-so-gently try to wiggle it and torque it and hopefully the connector will pop off. if the tab won't even go down, then push the connector in, then depress the tab.

once the connector comes off, make sure everything else except for the hard drives and cdrom drives are unplugged, then do the green-black wire trick to turn the power supply on. a paperclip should do nicely.

don't worry too much about the "soot" effect. i've seen it before. it's usually a large draw of power over time on a very loose connection.

5. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

Nothing, does that mean it's the power supply or just the start of the testing :confused:

6. Strogg

well, i told you to keep the hard drives and cdrom drives plugged in to give it enough juice on the 5v rail for the power supply to turn on. unfortunately, since nothing came on (i'm assuming the psu fan didn't even budge) that you'll need a new power supply. check out this one: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-966&depa=0 it's rock solid and should last him. if he has a beefier computer than most people, then the 400+ watt version of the power supply will suffice, but for most people, the 350 should be just fine.

7. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

No nothing even clicked. I've got a computer here thar I'll take the PS out of and try it. If that works great if not I guess it's the Mobo.

Thanks

8. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

It was the power supply. Put a new one in and all was well, thanks!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds