Help! "/Windows/system32/config/system missing or corrupt"

Discussion in 'Software' started by Halo_05, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Halo_05

Halo_05 Private E-2

Hello,
    I hope someone can help me with this problem. I was online one night when the computer locked up on me, and rebooted on it's own. Then I got the following message: "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: /windows/system32/config/system"

I have looked for help on Microsoft.com, and other online resources, but everyone says to restart using your Windows XP CD-ROM, and when you see the "Welcome to set up screen", enter the recovery console or press 'R' to repair. But I can't get past that screen, after I press 'R' or even when I try to reinstall Windows, I keep getting the same message: "set up did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer".......:confused:

I can't boot up in safe mode at all, but sometimes, if I unplug the computer and let it sit for awhile somehow I am able to boot up Windows normally, and log on, that's how I got here to post.

I would really hate to pay more money to reformat again since I just went through the same thing last month.:mad: I asked the guy who custom built the computer for me if it could be a hardware problem, but he found no problems with the harddrive etc..

I appreciate any help you could give, thanks!
    H~

2. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

3. PCJinx

PCJinx Private First Class

For Windows XP Pro...
    Click Start> Programs> Accessories> System Tools" and then activate "Backup".
    Click the Advanced Mode link on the first screen.
    On the Backup Utility dialog box, click the Automated System Recovery Wizard button.
    (This will not work with XP Home)

For Windows XP Home...
    Insert CD and launch.
    First select new installation...
    Then on next screen select "Recovery"
    Follow the steps from there.

Let us know how it goes. :)

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

5. Halo_05

Halo_05 Private E-2

Thank you to everyone for the replies.

Bladesofhalo - I tried the Microsoft fix, and it tells you to use the recovery console which I can't use.

TimW - Thanks for the links, this http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=313 is exactly the problem that I am having:mad: but this fix also tells you to use the recovery console which I can't use. I tried the other link which works around the recovery console, it says when you get to this screen: [​IMG]
    press ENTER instead of 'R' but either way I still get the same message: "set up did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer."

PCJinx - I am not sure what I would be backing up, my computer is already damaged, and I don't have any back up registry files to restore it with:confused:

H~

6. PCJinx

PCJinx Private First Class

Follow the instructions I gave and it will get you to the "Automated System Restore Wizard"
    What in essence your trying to do is recover your "SYSTEM" file.
    This could do the trick.
    But there are many avenues to do so.
    Just try one till you solve the problem.

7. erikske

erikske Sergeant

This problem may be caused by a failing hard drive or corrupt partition. A loose or faulty IDE cable can also cause this behaviour. Try to replace the IDE cable (if you have a spare) and verify it is correctly connected to both motherboard and hard drive. Running chkdsk might be difficult, since windows setup can't find your hard drive. In case you manage to gain access to the recovery console and your disk run chkdsk /f /r /p. Is your disk formatted as NTFS or FAT32?

8. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

you might have to load some 3rd party drivers so windows detects them. i did.. i have a gigabyte motherboard and it couldn't read my SATA hd, had to load a couple of drivers via floppy for it to finally read my hd was actually installed.

9. Halo_05

Halo_05 Private E-2

erikske - I thought it might be a failing hard drive because the first chance I got to boot up again, I ran chkdsk, it found bad sectors, then it locked up. As I stated in my first post, I had this same exact problem last month bad sectors, etc, the tech tested the hard drive, and said everything was fine. Then he just reformatted which clearly did not solve the issue. My drive is formatted as NTFS.

thisisu - I was given a box of software with my computer, it contained a floppy disk called "VIA SATA RAID DRIVER For VT6410/VT6420/VT8237". Is this the only driver I would need to install, or do I have to download more drivers from a website?

H~

10. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

11. erikske

erikske Sergeant

Depending on how competent and thorough your tech is, he may have only ran chkdsk :). Sectors that repeatedly go bad are not a good sign, as this is listed as one of the six signs of a dying drive.
    If you wish to try to diagnose your hard drive yourself, download the Ultimate Boot CD. Burn it to CD, boot from it and run the Hard Disk diagnosis tool for your brand of HD from the Hard Disk Tools section.

12. theefool

theefool Geekified

I find the hdd regenerator is a decent program to "fix" bad sectors. Use it all the time at work.

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5235

Not sure if the trial will fix your situation.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, chkdsk /f typically will not search for bad sectors, but chkdsk /r will force a bad sector check.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds