Removing/Deleting a User Account/Profile

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Apr 10, 2008.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Two questions please:

1. Is there a thorough way to rid the system of a User Account aside from simply going into the "User Accounts" in the Control Panel and deleting the "account"? I'm wondering if all (or any of) the files/folders etc., etc. will be left hanging-around somewhere in the PC?

2. Would a thorough deletion or removal of this User, who has been on/accessed this PC for approximately six months to a year, free-up much space and/or increase performance (speed)?

Thanks!

2. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thank you. I suppose what I am after here is a systematic or ordered approach to the task of erasing visible file contents, just to be sure that i get (erase) as much as possible, and so that I don't erase any shared files or settings - anything that the remaining users rely or depend on - stuff that they would need for the system to continue to operate normally.

The machine in question is my parents, which I use when I come to visit, but I really no longer need my own account (I reckon I never really did) when I can simply log into mom's account/profile, to check my email, etc.

I'm hoping to simplify things here on this (their) machine, reduce clutter, and reduce some of the space that's being taken/used, etc.

Thanks again.

3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Man I'll tell ya - some people ...

Thanks. That's what I needed to know

4. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Ok, a little further along this line: Is there a (fairly simple) way to "capture" all of the Bookmarks (Firefox Browser) in my user account, and save/keep them on this PC before deleting my user account?

Thanks in advance.

5. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

wow. great. So I used the wrong word/term ("capture"), when it is actually either; "Sharing", or "Exporting/Importing" (??).

Could you perhaps fill me in on the terminology, so that I could know what it is that I'm actually doing (as well to expedite/streamline the process). I am not really up on the "Geek-Speak" - though I am trying to learn, that's why I come here.

Thanks.

6. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thank you very much. Just to be absolutely clear, if I choose the first option above (and I know you stated; 'shared documents', but ...) does it matter whether I choose "Shared Documents", or "My Sharing Folders"?

Thanks.

7. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

You just want to save it somewhere outside the account you are going to delete. You can save it directly in the C:\ folder (My Computer>double click C: drive). That way it easy to find.

8. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Ok, thanks, but wouldn't I need to "Import" it when I go into the other (remaining) User account (this makes sense to me because I have "Exported" it from the original account)? And how do I go about "Importing?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds