Consumer Advice desperately needed. . .

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dangerous_dave, Nov 13, 2008.

1. dangerous_dave

dangerous_dave Private E-2

Hey guys I'm hoping someone here can help me really because I can't find anything to help me make my decision any easier. My Computer is archaic and isn't upgradeable so I'm looking at buying new. This time i'd like to be semi mobile with it so i'm looking at gaming laptops, sub £2k gaming laptops.

I'm looking currently at Alienware and XPS machines and keep coming unstuck on the graphics card configurations.

Here's my dilemma;

A) The XPS comes with Dual SLI 51Mb nVidia 8800M GTX cards [Inc in price]

B) Alienware will ship with Dual 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870 – CrossFireX Enabled cards [+£193]

whilst the second Alienware offers one of the following

C) (i)Dual 512MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 8700M GT – SLI Enabled [+£229]
    (ii)512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GT [+£304]
    (iii)Dual 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GT – SLI Enabled [+£763]
    (iv)512MB NVIDIA Quadro FX 3600M [+£343]

I know that Option A is old tech but is it that old that it's not worth considering?
    Option B is using ATI cards are they that much worse than nVidia as the price would suggest?
    With regards to option 3. . . I know that the (iii) config is the best or thats what the price would suggest at least, does it really offer £800's worth of performance over say config (i)? or would I be better off settling for a single card and having only 512Mb dedicated to my graphics.
    I need this to ideally come to around the £1800 to £2k mark definately no more than 2K it's just these Graphics card options that will make or break the bank.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
    Dave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds