GermanOne Callout - batch move files

Discussion in 'Software' started by HardRockr, Sep 21, 2014.

1. HardRockr

HardRockr Private E-2

Been looking around for hours. I have my own computer repair shop in a small town/city with about 10 competitors. I always drop my email - website - online scheduling site one the desktop. Well coming into virus season soon . Winter and my old man who is 80 wants to help, keep his mind going. So I got Techwaru for him to make it as automated as possible. Its getting to the point where I may need to hire but I'm hanging on the edge hoping my dad can give me a hand and help him have something to live for. Ok so I want to automate dropping my icons on desktop, also bring up IE manage add-ons window, and automatically run widows auto update. I have no experience in batch files but know they can do a great job. Any help appreciated.

2. GermanOne

GermanOne Guest

It's certainly up to me because I'm not a native English but it's difficult for me figuring your requirements out.

... as seen in the topic
    The command for moving files is simply MOVE, e.g.
    Code:
    move "c:\wherever\test.txt" "%userprofile%\desktop\"
    ... to move a file to your desktop

Please explain more comprehensive what exactly you want to do.

Impossible using batch as far as I know. Neither did I find a command option for iexplore.exe to do that nor runs this window a separate process.

Isn't it just a setting in the control panel?

Regards
    GermanOne

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Macros, get a program like http://www.robot-soft.com/automatic-mouse-keyboard.html or https://www.jitbit.com/macro-recorder/ - they compile to exe files. So you can write a macro like
    open iexplore
    press alt o
    press alt a
    Those three commands launch IE, open the Tools menu and select Add-Ons.

Here is my example for the code above.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/rhi6lbzvtlfzkpl/addons.exe?dl=0

As for Windows updates, why use all the bandwidth all the time, try Windows Offline updates.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wsus_offline_update.html

http://www.symantec.com/connect/downloads/vbscript-windows-updates

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  4. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Tried the dropbox kink. It opened favorites in IE9. On my keyboard

press alt
    press t
    press a

opens menu bar.tools.add-ons.

May be different for other than Vista 2/ IE9

5. HardRockr

HardRockr Private E-2

Thank you both, you have helped me tremendously. Germanone just trying to make my repairs as automated as possible to a set standard and speed. Would be nice to get windows update to come up and have it start installing all important updates. Since you guys are so knowledgeable I was looking for a way to move my icons with icon intact. I have been copying them to windows folder then dragging to desktop with my icon pics in that folder. Is there a better way to do this.

6. foogoo

?? I am using IE9, Tools does work via alt+t and Alt+o.. the other thing when programming the macros in the time you wait betweeen commands, some systems are slower than others...

7. Imandy Mann

I tried while this page is open

alt - opens menu bar
    t - opens 'tools' dropdown
    o - opens 'Internet Options'

a instead of o opens 'Manage Add-Ons'

Do you have a programmable keyboard?

Could be my keyboard but what I get and see agrees with the underscored letters in my menu bar. My 'm' key was half-hearted out of the box when new. So it could have any other quirk.

On this set any second press of alt after the first closes menu bar.

8. Imandy Mann

Not sure your intention here? For one example - I downloaded FooGoo's dropbox link to my download location. I just copied and pasted that program to my desktop. Not a shortcut - the program. And it displays an icon of some fingers on a keyboard. Quite nice actually. Haven't touched the windows folder. You can put a program on the desktop - or a link - and if there is an icon associated with the file it shows the icon.

9. foogoo

It should be t & a (not o), I don't know where you got O.

10. GermanOne

GermanOne Guest

Nope, it's obviously [Alt] [X] [A]. (For my German version of IE 11 ;) )
    Just let HardRockr decide what the right combination for his version of IE is.
    BTW There is a big difference if you hold the Alt key pressed or not.

@HardRockr
    As you can see Batch is not an appropriate language for your tasks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    For Windows updates you could use a VBScript from the Microsoft Developer Network
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa387102%28VS.85%29.aspx
    Save the code as plain text ASCII file (text file) with extension .vbs
    e.g. "WUA_SearchDownloadInstall.vbs"
    You should run the script either from the command prompt or from within a Batch file with command line
    Code:
    cscript //nologo "WUA_SearchDownloadInstall.vbs"
    Another way (without VBScript) would be
    Code:
    start /d %windir%\system32 %windir%\system32\wuapp.exe
    It only opens the GUI though.

For the automation of IE you could use Windows scripting (like VBScript) as well.
    Save as .vbs:
    Code:
    Set objIE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
    objIE.Visible = True
    objIE.Navigate "about:blank"
    Do While objIE.Busy Or (objIE.ReadyState <> 4)
      Wscript.Sleep 100
    Loop
    Set objWSHShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    objWSHShell.SendKeys "%"
    objWSHShell.SendKeys "xa"

... where "%" is for the Alt key. You have to customize the combination "xa" as mentioned above.

I still don't understand your Desktop Icon issue though. For that reason I'd like to ask you again for an explanation of what you're trying to achieve.

Regards
    GermanOne

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds