Pain in the posterior!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frankrizzo, Dec 31, 2005.

1. frankrizzo

frankrizzo Private E-2

Hi,

I have a hp pavilion 523w tower. It is a pentium 4 with 512 mb. I just installed xp service pack 2. At first I had a problem with the video driver (vga). I was able to find a download and somehow got it to work finally, through safe mode. Now its the sound, no pc sounds or speaker sounds. I tried downloading realtek high def audio driver....I see its installed in the add remove programs listing, but still no sound. I noticed when I went to sound cards and audio devices that it said the multimedia audio controller was not present or inactive. Can you please help, I just started to become computer literate.

2. techsalong

techsalong Guest

Hi,

I see 4 viruses listed there; hp, pavilion, pentium and xp. Kidding :)

OK, I'll be nice, but just this once. :)

What started all of this? Did the video just suddenly act up, or did you install something new in software or hardware?

Was it all working fine at some point? Have you had the computer a while and for no reason all of this happens?

If it is out of the blue, and everything has been fine, I'd be inspecting the motherboard for swollen or even leaking capacitors. To have that much happening..?

There is an issue with those capacitors more and more lately. They look very much barrel shaped and when good the sides are very flat as are the tops. They just stick up from the mobo in various places - very obvious.

They should be perfect flat-topped cylinders. If any are swelling on the sides or tops, or worse yet leaking an ugly, maybe brownish substance, you found it.

Just a hunch, but I'd have to have a look....

Sorry for the tease. :)

3. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

What does Device Manager say?

Is it (sound device) enabled correctly in the Bios?

4. techsalong

techsalong Guest

A careful reading of his question reveals this statement:

". I noticed when I went to sound cards and audio devices that it said the multimedia audio controller was not present or inactive."

:rolleyes:

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

I read it, which is something you aren't very good at.

What does that have to do with Device Manager or the Bios?

I suggested it as it may reveal the problem. If you don't understand that, give up computers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds